17: 3 gold

Edited by Relendria

"Boy is this how you treat someone who saved your life!" The doctor yelled angrily.

"But doctor, I'm only returning your favor. I'm paying for your treatment with one of these items," Liang Meng Yao told him firmly.

"One gold for that?!"

"In my country jam is much more expensive than just one gold. You want me to drop the price more?! Aren't you being too much?" Liang Meng Yao responded, contemptuously.

People around the village began to gather, drawn by the doctor's angry yelling.

"But I saved your life!" the doctor protested.

"Yes, and I've already gave Mr. Fa Enlai a token of my appreciation. That's one gold already gone and you want me to give you another? You're too cruel, doctor," Liang Meng Yao replied with a pretense of sorrow.

The people started to whisper about the doctor.

"Then pay me for the treatment!"

"Of course, here is the pheasant," Liang Meng Yao held out the bird.

"A pheasant for 400 coppers?! That's scam!"

"Treatment for an uninjured patient - that's the real scam," Liang MengYao mocked.

The doctor was speechless. He had never encountered such a tricky person.

"Fine, give me the bird!" he yelled, grabbing the chicken.

"Enjoy!" Liang Meng Yao said before turning to Hong Jia Yi with a smile.

"You scammed the doctor," Hong Jia Yi said with disbelief in his voice.

"Are you upset?"

"No, but selling such a skinny animal for 4 silvers?"

"Please, he was lucky! If it wasn't for his son, he'd still owe me two silvers," Liang Meng Yao scoffed. It was clear that he was still angry about the doctor's shameless attempt to take advantage of him.

Liang Meng Yao, as a child, had to sell all kinds of things to make enough money for his dad's treatment after his father got sick. He had been forced to stop school just to provide for his father.

"Oh, I see. Let's go inside then," Hong Jia Yi said.

"Wait a moment."

"Hmm?"

Liang Meng Yao went up close to Hong Jia Yi and kissed his cheek.

"There was something on your cheek," Liang Meng Yao said with a satisfied smirk.

Hong Jia Yi was startled. Liang Meng Yao wanted to kiss Hong Jia Yi on the lips but he worried that would be moving too fast for the other man.

After finishing their day's work, the two bathed, ate dinner, and went to bed snuggled together.

Early next morning Hong Jia Yi made breakfast and extra food for their journey before waking Liang Meng Yao. They both ate, packed their food and goods, and then set out for the town.

After reaching the restaurant the restaurant owner immediately grabbed at Liang Meng Yao.

"Ah, Mr. Liang, please name your price!" he exclaimed, grinning at Liang Meng Yao.

In was less than a day before the dishes went viral and they were his top sellers. People were fighting to order the limited items. The boy's promises weren't lies.

"Okay," Liang Meng Yao got straight to business, "three golds for ten jars."

The man's eyebrows furrowed.

"Three?"

"Yes, three," Liang Meng Yao smiled. "Oh, and you must return the bottles every four days when I come to deliver the next batch of jam," he added.

"I see - fine."

"I've got forty jars now and a new recipe but that's going to cost a lot more." Liang Meng Yao's smile grew as he anticipated Mr. Ye's reaction.

The restaurant owner didn't disappoint Liang Meng Yao as he frowned at the other man.

"Are trying to bankrupt me?!"

"But Mr. Ye, it'll only make your restaurant more popular," he grinned.

"Tch! Stinky boy, you're too greedy. Hmph! How much?" he asked huffing angrily.

"Ten gold."

Mr. Ye almost coughed blood. This boy! Was he sent here to kill him?

"Boy, are you the devil?"

"Of course not! I just need to fix my house so my wife is comfortable. Later, I'm planning to move to the town - maybe even the capital someday," Liang Meng Yao shared his goals.

"Then why not run a business?"

"I will but first I need to drain you dry of your money," Liang Meng Yao joked cheerfully.

"Hmph, greedy boy!"

Hong Jia Yi was happy to see them getting along so well.

The two went shopping for clothes and supplies to fix their house. Liang Meng Yao bought two hens and some milk. He bought tomatoes and other ingredients before buying a donkey. Of the twenty-two gold pieces they had earned only fourteen were left when they were done shopping.

They then hired a cart to return to the village. Liang Meng Yao rode the donkey and Hong Jia Yi rode in the cart. It was late night when they reached their house. They just unloaded their items, bathed, and then dove into bed. They both were too tired to eat.

Hong Jia Yi hugged Liang Meng Yao who hugged him back before kissing him on the forehead. They slept well in each other's embrace.