80: Must Get Stronger

The Emperor nodded once, as if he was content with that answer and just looked at the two lovers. His face, trained by a lifetime of politics, showed no emotions at all. Jia Yi found it a little unsettling but Meng Yao seemed unaffected and merely asked the Emperor if he could offer him some tea and snacks.

After enjoying a few new dishes cooked by Meng Yao for tea, the Emperor took his leave. Meng Yao saw him off at the door before carrying his Jiajia in to the bedroom for a nap. He tenderly tucked Jia Yi in and left to start a meal for them to enjoy after Jia Yi’s nap. As he was preparing the food, it occurred to Meng Yao that if he officially becomes an imperial prince and even someday became Emperor, he probably wouldn’t be able to do these little things for his Jiajia anymore. This thought shook him and his busy hands stilled as he considered this terrible future. He didn't cook often but he enjoyed doing it from time to time for his beloved. If he had to stop, it would be like removing a sanctuary from his life.
His eyes were dark and gloomy and a frown wrinkled his brow as he continued cooking.

By the time Jia Yi woke up from the nap, Meng Yao had recovered his usual cheerful expression. No one but Jia Yi would have been able to tell he was troubled about something. Jia Yi ate well and made sure that Meng Yao did as well but he watched his husband carefully as they went through the day. That night as they lay together in each other’s embrace Jia Yi finally confronted his husband’s fears. Even though Meng Yao tried to hide it, Jia Yi knew what was bothering his husband. The two of them were so attuned that they didn’t always need words to express themselves.

"It will be okay," Jia Yi whispered as he stroked Meng Yao’s tense jaw.

"Of course it will, Jiajia,” Meng Yao agreed, placing his forehead against Jia Yi’s. “We will be the same together no matter what. You are my Jiajia, after all, and that will never change."

A few days later in the red light district of the capital city, a young man in his early twenties was slumped on one of the tables in a drunken stupor. He was a regular fixture at Gen's brothel, usually spending most of the day sleeping on one of the tables.

Two men in the corner were gossiping about the news of the alleged child of the Crown Prince.

"The Crown Prince, of all people!" The man’s words were slightly slurred but he still held out his cup for one of the brothel escorts to top off his drink.
"It was speculated nearly 20 years ago that the Crown Prince and Minister Liang eloped and had a child. I've heard that this boy, even though he hasn’t been seen for these past 20 years, is the spitting image of Minister Liang. My old friend in the court says there can be no doubt that this young man is Minister Liang’s son," the other man said. His words were also a little slurred by drink.

The two men drank another few glasses at the urging of the brothel escorts at their side. The she-men giggled flirtatiously as they were groped by the gossiping men. After a short interlude, the taller of the two continued speaking to the fat man next to him.
“I heard the boy has striking, silver, silk-like hair and that the heavens smile at his beauty." The man sounded almost smitten.

"Hahaha, you describe him as though he were a she-man," the obese man chuckled suggestively.
The man who was listening from his position on the table took a deep breath and slowly blinked open his drunken eyes.

"Chen Ai Guo! You’re finally conscious," one of the brothel escorts said in a sultry voice. “Why don’t you join us for a drink?”

At the sound of the man’s name, the two men swallowed dryly. If he had heard their conversation and reported it to the Crown Prince…
The man just lifted his head and looked around. Seemingly seeing nothing interesting, he got up, dropped some gold coins on the table, and took the jug of wine with him as he exited the brothel. He glanced at the two men as he made his way to the door but said nothing.

Outside of the brothel, he paused to take a long drink from the mouth of the wine jug and let out a satisfied belch. Holding the jug loosely in one hand he continued down the street, his steps far steadier than his previous drunken appearance suggested they would be, and a grin grew on his lips.

"What's this about cousin having a long lost son? Suddenly, I feel the need to investigate."

Xiao Si wearily opened his eyes and glanced around at his room. The sun had been up for some time but he felt as though he was looking through a dark haze. His body ached after yet another assault from Chong Lin. He felt tainted and powerless and part of him wanted to end it all. Life without any hope of seeing his Liang Huan was almost unbearable. But he drew in a deep breath and pushed himself up from the bed. He couldn’t give up yet. In order to stop the monster, Chong Lin, he must bear this torment for a while longer.

The test for Meng Yao's legitimacy was scheduled to take place in two weeks. After Meng Yao has passed that test, he can be acknowledged as an official heir to the throne. Then he will have the standing to undergo Imperial training and will have the ability gain the influence needed to go against Chong Lin and avenge his father.

Xiao Si took a long bath and ate a healthy breakfast. He no longer neglected his health because he needs to become stronger. Not only must he regain his old strength but he also must improve his strength. His son will not face that monster alone.

"Daddy, can we have breakfast together?" Huan asked from the doorway with a hopeful smile.

When Xiao Si looked up, Huan’s face morphed into Chong Lin’s and Xiao Si snarled wordlessly as he turned his face away. Part of him hated that he treated Huan this way. He knew the boy was not only innocent, but he was also quite loving. But no matter how hard he tried, Xiao Si could only see Chong Lin’s abhorrent face when he looked at the boy.

Huan saw his daddy's distaste and nodded sadly.

"Never mind,” he said quietly. “I won’t disturb your meal.”
He turned around and left; his shoulders slumped and the curve of his back dejected. Xiao Si bit his lip and pushed down the urge to call the boy back. Even if he returned, could he really stand to see the boy who looked so much like Chong Lin? Of course not.

Huan made his way slowly to his study. He had wanted to tell his daddy about the divorce. He wanted his daddy to know that he'll have a chance to be free. But he was a bit afraid of what would happen after he told his daddy. Huan knows that his father has done terrible things and he mustn't side with evil but at the same time, his daddy hates him. What will happen to him after the divorce?
Huan took a deep breath, straightening his shoulders with determination. He has decided. He must find a way to stop his father's madness and convince his daddy to let father live quietly somewhere else. He loves both of his parents and can’t choose between them. He has to find a way for them both to live and be happy.

Edited by Relendria