110: The Imperial court

"It is our honor, Imperial Majesty," the court members chanted in unison.

The emperor looked around at the crowd. He nodded and made a hand gesture for all to sit. Liang Meng Yao sat down with the others, observing the other members of the court. Liang Meng Yao's expression remained calm even though he felt the other members of the court sneaking looks at him when they thought he couldn't see.

"Let's begin this meeting," the emperor stated. "Hou Jun You, make your report."

(A/N: Hou is a rank similar to Marquis.)

The emperor looked at Jun You as he opened his scroll and began to report.

"In the East of our Qing Empire there seems to be tax issues. Fewer nobles are able to pay their taxes and they say there aren't enough workers. South of Hong City the crime rate has increased, and the City Lord has requested more men to increase nightly patrols. Zimo Village is experiencing an outbreak of a contagious disease. They have requested medical personnel and medicine."

Jun You closed the scroll and looked at the emperor. He bowed respectfully and sat back down, putting his hands back into his sleeves. Members of the court looked at each other and started to discuss the topics at hand.

A servant slipped next to Meng Yao and poured him a cup of tea. Meng Yao nodded slightly to thank the servant. The servant man indulged in a quick peek at the new prince and his lips curved in a hint of a smile as he bowed and left.

Members of the court began making suggestions to deal with the problems listed.

"Why not offer more work to the people?" Minister Song asked in reference to the problems in East Qing.

"Weren't you listening?" Zi Han Yong retorted. "They said the problem was a lack of manpower. Looking for more work wouldn't help at all."

"Well, we have to do something, or Eastern Qing will suffer!"

"I suggest we simply remove the Lords who are not paying their taxes. Obviously, they are incompetent."

Meng Yao looked at his tea as he swirled it in the cup. He took a sip with his eyes closed, savoring the flavor and listening to the Ministers bicker. None of it meant anything to him because his thoughts were on how his Jiajia was doing. Did his Jia Yi miss him as much as he missed his Jiajia? Ah, love is sweet even when it is painful!

(A/N: Meng Yao, now is not the time to be sentimental!)

Sighing at the elderly folks bickering, he placed down the tea and said, "only removing the incompetent lords doesn't necessarily solve the problem"

Liang Meng Yao's voice was stern, calm and respectful. Unlike the elders who had to yell to get their point heard he didn't, the elders look at him specifically Jun You.

Jun You then smirked maliciously as he caressed his long thin beard, "do you have a solution minister Liang?"

The courtroom then turned attention to Liang Meng Yao, he gently took a sip of his still warm tea before standing and cupping his hand in the direction of the emperor. "If I may your imperial majesty"

The emperor nods and Liang Meng Yao nods as well.

"If there is lack of manpower within the south of Hong city, have an immigration system set up offering small lands" Liang Meng Yao continued. "This job offers will be issued as well with night patrols"

The courtroom looked at Liang Meng Yao, there was no falter in the way he spoke, and he had this persuasive way in which he spoke as if this was natural to him. Somewhere proud it was expected of the descendant of the Minister Liang not to mention the prince himself.

But not all liked his prepositions, these Hou Jun You and General Feng Chong Lin, the glares were so apparent that others noticed the deadly glare. Some dared to voice their praises, others decided not to out of sheer fear of the general and Hou Jun You.

The emperor smiled proudly as he was reminded of the minister Liang, he was a young child then too. Taken from this world so bitterly. "That sounds as a grand idea minister Liang"

"I am only fulfilling my duties your imperial majesty"

Liang Meng Yao glanced to see the expression of his enemies and as predicted neither looked pleased, especially Hou Jun You, the emperor saw this but simply closed his eyes "are there any disagreements?"

Hou Jun You then raised his hands and the emperor looked at him, "Yes?"

"There still remains the issue of Zimo village, I suggest closing off the villagers so this disease will not spread further" Hou Jun You said stroking his long beard

"And what of the people?" the emperor inquired

"We have doctors research, but all the people of Zimo must remain closed off" Hou Jun You said

Liang Meng Yao thinks it's not a bad proposal, it would be like dealing with a pandemic but certainly someone like Hou Jun You won't hesitate to sponge the people of the money they got.

"Excuse me Hou Jun you, but if the village is cut off what of rations?" Liang Meng Yao smile almost seeming menacingly

There is no way this man would casually be helping a village of sick people unless he was planning something. Hou Jun You was taken aback but this was the minister's son there was always something to be taken aback about.

"Well- there will be some arrangements" He answered

"And the doctors? Surely all this burden can't be borne by only the Marquis" he said, plastering an amiable smile across his face with a bit of his pearly whites revealing.

Hou Jun You did not like that mischievous smile one bit nor did he like a kid who was not entirely two decades old snooping around his business. "Its-"

"I'll off assistance"

"No! - I mean you already have something else on your hands!" he spoke

"I won't be adding much, just a few rations and doctor's marquis, there can't be trouble in helping one another? It's best to help close this quickly and thoroughly so there won't be any aftermath issue concerning Zimo village" Liang Meng Yao smiled casually.

It was that unyielding and callous smile that made it impossible for him to refuse. "Er...... FINE!"

With some more discussion and debates the long day at the court ended, Liang Meng Yao was finally relieved, but he suddenly turned when he felt a hand against his shoulder. He turned to see a man within his 20's handsome and careless looking. His face looked as though he was a handsome delinquent.

"I believe your cousin's son, right?"

Liang Meng Yao furrowed his brows confused, cousin? It was then it clicked, how could he forget? it was probably a member of the former empress's family, his daddy's daddy.

"Lord Chen?"

Chen Ai Guo smiled sharply as Liang Meng Yao backed up a bit slightly bowed then stood.

"No need for formality between us" he said in an informal and leisure tone

Liang Meng Yao nods but still kept his formality, he didn't know what type of person Chen Ai Guo was, but he heard that he was a drunk, he went sporting from taverns to brothel wasting his days away but while there were some truths to rumors it was best to not believe everything but still be cautious.