63: 4 days

Meng Yao didn't finish reading the journal until three days had passed. He could have finished it in a day but he kept pausing to think about the contents. One question sprang to mind that the journal couldn’t answer: If his daddy disliked General Feng so much, why did he finally marry him?

Meng Yao stared blankly in Jia Yi’s direction as he pondered this question but his eyes gradually sharpened as Jia Yi’s actions registered on him. Jia Yi sat on the veranda eating – which was fine – but what he was eating disturbed Meng Yao a great deal. Meng Yao closed the book and approached his wife.

"What in the devil's name?!?” Meng Yao exclaimed as he verified that Jia Yi was actually eating what he thought his wife had been eating. “Jia Yi! Ketchup and apples don't go together!”
Jia Yi looked up with an adorable expression of confusion.
“If you would like, I could try making applesauce," Meng Yao offered in a silent apology for startling Jia Yi.

He picked up the ketchup as Jia Yi blushed and looked away with embarrassment.

"Can I have oranges instead?" Jia Yi asked as he headed towards the kitchen.

"Of course!"

Meng Yao looked at Jia Yi appraisingly. He frowned slightly and returned to Jia Yi’s side to stoop down, feeling his forehead first and comparing it to Jia Yi’s.

"You don't feel feverish…” He mumbled before straightening and continuing in a stronger voice, “but maybe you should rest inside today. It's winter so let's get off this cold veranda."
Meng Yao escorted him inside and seated him at a table in the kitchen where he could keep an eye him. Meng Yao placed the orange he had sliced in front of Jia Yi and began preparing dinner.

"Yaoyao, I don't want noodles," Jia Yi protested as Meng Yao poured the freshly made noodles into a waiting bowl.

"No noodles?"

"No noodles."

"What would you like then?"

"Hmm,” Jia Yi pondered a minute. “Porridge!"

Meng Yao gave Jia Yi another assessing look before turning to return to the stove.

"Yaoyao, wait! Give me that."

"What?" Meng Yao asked in confusion.

"The noodles!"

"But you jus – never mind," he returned to Jia Yi’s side and placed the noodles on the table for him.

Meng Yao looked at Jia Yi with a question in his eyes as Jia Yi stared at him encouragingly. When Meng Yao remained clueless Jia Yi almost pouted as he declared, "I still want the porridge."

"Jia Yi? You’re that hungry?” Meng Yao’s eyes widened before he agreed with a mixture of amusement and confusion. “Okay"

He felt Jia Yi was behaving quite oddly but he was willing to serve his wife without complaints. After eating his fill, Jia Yi declared his intention to take a nap and was soon deeply asleep, as if he had been knocked by potent drugs.

"You’re being strange, my love," Meng Yao whispered before leaving a kiss on Jia Yi’s forehead.

He sat comfortably next to the bed as he read the last pages of his father's journal.

At first, I was happy to see Chong Lin again. It reminded me of the days the three of us spent on the battlefield. Those were both good and bad days and remembering them made me feel all the more guilty that he had to find out about Xiao Si and I like this. He and I had been like brothers but Xiao Si had been adamant that we not reveal our growing love while we battled the enemy.
When he found us here in our little haven, I wanted to welcome him with open arms but my instincts were screaming at me to be on guard. They were telling me not to trust my old friend – to be careful. Xiao Si was even more on edge around him. He had been protective of you before but after Chong Lin’s arrival, he was adamant about keeping you in his arms. He barely put you down to sleep.

I could feel the anger from Chong Lin but he kept it under control, much to my relief. (He was man of no rationality when enraged.) Since all our secrets were finally out, Chong Lin and I went to somewhere private to have a discussion. In reality, I was giving Chong Lin the chance to vent his anger in the hope that he would be able to accept the love Xiao Si and I have for each other.

So he and I fought fiercely, although I was no match for him and was thoroughly beaten. However, it seemed as though his fury was somewhat appeased afterwards. That made it worth it to me.

For a week after that all of us were friends just like the old days. You didn't like Chong Lin, though. Every time he came near you, you'd wail miserably. It was kind of funny seeing Chong Lin panicking while you acted like he was kidnapping you. It was almost enough to make me forgive you for stealing my wife from me.

Yaoyao, today your daddy went away. He didn't bring us because he wanted to surprise you grandfather with the news of our marriage and your birth. I don't know how your grandfather will react but I hope it's positive.

Today Chong Lin made a preposterous suggestion. He wanted me to leave your daddy. I now realize that his anger was not appeased and I suspect I'm not safe with him. Yaoyao, I must protect you no matter what. Just know that if I'm not here when you need me the most, that I wanted to be.

The rest of the journal was empty pages. Meng Yao sat staring blankly at the window, as his thoughts grew ever more chaotic and frantic.

"What happened? What happened?" Meng Yao wondered over and over.

"What did he do? Why is he married to him?" Anger and hatred began to fill his mind as his thoughts spiraled out of control.

"He despises his own child and treats his own husband as if he doesn’t exist. That how cruel the Crown Prince is…"

Remembering the rumors he had heard before, Meng Yao found himself assuming the worst.

"Four more days, Meng Yao. In four days you can get your answers," Meng Yao reminded himself, although the bitter twist to his lips didn’t fade at all.

Fa Enlai was feeling sick but it was nothing new. Every winter he would get sick.

"Daddy, you’re not dying, right?" Ming Xiaobo asked him sadly.

Enlai rubbed his aching forehead.

"And leave baobao alone? Of course not!" He assured the worried boy with a forced chuckle.

"Xiaobo, move aside for a moment," Ming Shou Shan told his son as he entered the room with a shallow basin of water and a few cloths.

He placed the basin down, wet the cloth and then wrung most of the water out before placing it on Enlai’s forehead. Enali was shocked that his boss was taking care of him personally.

"You don't have to do this," Enlai protested weakly.

"You take care of Xiaobo all the time. Let me return a favor," Shou Shan said solemnly.

Enlai was surprised at Shou Shan’s consideration. He usually thought this man was arrogant but now he can tell that Shou Shan can be gentle as well. Enlai smiled at the man and the boy and relaxed.

"Careful Master, people might think you’re trying to court your servant.” Enlai mumbled with a weak chuckle.

Enlai quickly dozed off as the cool compresses soothed his fever while Shou Shan froze with shock. After a few minutes he whispered under his breath: "What if I am?"
Edited by Relendria