33: Hong Zhu the pitiful lover

Edited by Relendria

Meng Yao's days settled into a comfortable schedule. He worked on the house most days, hunted and gathered wild produce on others, and delivered his jam on weekends. Now their house was in great shape and their savings had grown. He felt satisfied with his new life.

The only unsatisfactory thing about it was Ge Ming's unwanted presence. He came to the house frequently, pretending to be innocent, virtuous and kind, while trying to get closer to Meng Yao. Meng Yao treated him like air but a narcissist like Ge Ming's couldn't accept that he was being rejected.

"What a peaceful day! Today it is just the two of us," Meng Yao said as he hugged Jia Yi around the waist.

"Hong Jia Yi!"

Veins now popped up on Meng Yao's forehead as he clenched his teeth. He had tried not to be rude to this person but Ge Ming just wouldn't take a hint.

Jia Yi got up from the blanket Meng Yao had crafted from animal skins and watched his husband stomped away angrily. Jia Yi smiled inside. He allowed Ge Ming to visit just so Meng Yao could humiliate him. It was clear that Meng Yao's patience was growing thin and soon he would put Ge Ming in his place.

Jia Yi remembered exactly what had happened with Hong Zhu. He had been Jia Yi's fiancée first. Hong Zhu had loved Jia Yi. Even though Jia Yi hadn't loved him in return, he had respected Hong Zhu's sincere feelings and accepted the marriage. They were happy Hong Zhu became an official.

Hong Zhu wasn't particularly handsome but he was attractive enough and he made a good living. As an official, he lived better than most Han villagers. Many envied him and many she-men craved him but he loved Jia Yi and didn't look at anyone else. Ge Ming, being the white lotus he was, schemed against them. He framed Hong Zhu, falsely claiming that his chastity had been stolen by Hong Zhu. Hong Zhu had been an extremely gentle man with a very shy and cute personality. Jia Yi knew that he would never do such a thing but people believed Han Ge Ming and criticized him. Hong Jia Yi and Hong Zhu didn't care much about the gossip of others until...

The people started to gossip and criticize Hong Jia Yi as well. Hong Zhu had been protective of Jia Yi and tried to stop their cruelty but words soon became actions and they began to actively bully Jia Yi. Zhu was so angry at this point that he hit Ge Ming in front of a crowd, which only made matters worse. Hong Zhu's parents forced him to break off his engagement with Jia Yi. Hong Zhu was so upset that he vomited blood and collapsed but a year later Hong Zhu and Han Ge Ming got married anyway. Hong Zhu was so depressed that the wedding was more like a funeral than a wedding.

After that day Hong Zhu was like a man without a soul until he realized that Jia Yi didn't blame him. The two then lived on as good friends but, once again, Han Ge Ming had to interfere. He felt that he'd soon be replaced by Jia Yi and so he influenced the village against Jia Yi, insinuating that he was Hong Zhu's mistress. To protect Jia Yi, Hong Zhu had to cut all ties from Jia Yi.  With no connection with his love at all, Hong Zhu fell into a deep depression. Ge Ming didn't care about that only worked Zhu to the bone.

Soon Hong Zhu got really sick. Jia Yi wanted to help him but Ge Ming accused Jia Yi of trying to come between husband and wife. Jia Yi was almost stoned to death by the village. Later that winter, Hong Zhu died from sickness and depression.

Jia Yi hated Ge Ming with a passion. Hong Zhu was a good person but instead of treasuring him Han Ge Ming used him and abused him. He had made Hong Zhu miserable and pushed him to his death. Jia Yi swore that he'd make sure the evil she-man paid for the death of Hong Zhu.

With the arrival of Meng Yao in Jia Yi's life he knew he had a chance to achieve the revenge he desired. Jia Yi had never shown his hatred of Ge Ming and pretend to believe Ge Ming's pretense of being innocent and kind. But Jia Yi knew Ge Ming's personality well. As long as it's a handsome male who has money or potential to gain money, Ge Ming won't hesitate or swerve in chasing after him. Meng Yao was exactly what Ge Ming craved and Jia Yi was willing to use him to lure the evil she-man in and make him pay.

Jia Yi had considered killing Ge Ming at one point but decided Ge Ming's son was the last bit of Hong Zhu left in the world and he couldn't hurt Hong Zhu by killing his mother.