54: Ruined First Impression

The days have gone by ordinarily and without trouble since their move to the city. Meng Yao was surprised when he realized it had already been nine months since he came to this world.

"It seems like little Feng can't make it today as well," Meng Yao said a little sadly.

The winter was approaching and recently Huan had been required to start paying more attention to his studies. With the colder weather came a decrease in customers as people stayed in their warm homes. Meng Yao was planning to close down the shop for the winter and focus on his wife. After all, they had never taken time for a honeymoon.

"Hmm, not many customers today as well," he noted as he took a sip of the longevity noodles in front of him.

"Yaoyao, don't worry," Jia Yi tried to console him.

"I'm not worried. No need to fret, Jiajia," he assured his wife with a peaceful smile.

They had earned more than enough money to survive the winter in comfort so he had no qualms. Suddenly the door swung open, revealing a breathtakingly beautiful she-man.

The aura around him was even colder than the freezing winter air outside. Two servants stood beside and a little behind him and several guards took up positions around him. Immediately the few customers in the room showed signs of discomfort.

"Aiya! This person is scaring my customers!" Meng Yao said quietly and with a bit of distress in his heart.

The customers quickly rose from their seats and kowtowed.

"Your Imperial Highness, Crown Prince," they all called respectfully.

Meng Yao’s eyes widened with surprise and he and Jia Yi quickly rose to respectfully bow as well.

"You may all rise." The voice was cold and settled over the prostrated people like ice.

Everyone got up simultaneously but remained in their respective places.

"This is a whole different level of chill," Meng Yao whispered to Jia Yi beside him.

Jia Yi wondered whether his husband was purposely ignoring the oppressive air surrounding the Crown Prince or did he genuinely not feel it? The Crown Prince was clearly fearsome – powerful and cold.

"Shhhhh!" Jia Yi hissed in an effort to quiet his disrespectful husband.

This action caught the attention of the Crown Prince. He slowly raised his hand to point and said.

"You! Who are you?" The Crown Prince's voice held no emotions whatsoever.

Anyone who was here witnessing this meeting felt as though the Prince was speaking with an inanimate object; so great was his level of indifference.

Jia Yi trembled and felt like his legs would give out from fear but before he could fall Meng Yao quickly supported him. This drew Zhong Xiao Si’s eyes to him. Those eyes, so similar to Meng Yao’s, widened with shock. The silver hair! Those phoenix eyes! There was no doubt in his mind as to the identity of the man before him. Xiao Si restored his composure and said to the rest of the room; "Everyone except these two, leave!"

Meng Yao’s eyes narrowed with irritation. He’s barely met this person and he already doesn’t like him. Not only has he frightened Jia Yi and disrupted the peaceful aura of his restaurant, but now he’s dismissing people from their meals without a moment’s thought! Meng Yao was already starting to regret wanting meet such a person.

Xiao Si noticed Meng Yao’s lips pressing together with irritation. He realized that he wasn't making a good impression on the man he’d come to see.

"Your name?" he asked Meng Yao, his tone still lofty and cold.

Meng Yao restrained his irritation and bowed again to the Crown Prince.

"I am Meng Yao, your Imperial Highness." His words gave respect but his tone was very reserved.

Xiao Si's heart shifted at sound of the name. It was his Yaoyao indeed! But it seems that Yaoyao doesn’t know who he is and he has managed to make a bad impression with him.

"You must be the one that Jun Gui told me about," Xiao Si said after a moment’s silence. It was all he could think of to get the conversation started.

"Oh! Yes, I had wanted to make an offer to your Imperial Highness but it seems my wife had somehow caused offence," Meng Yao said, his words laced with poorly hidden anger.

Xiao Si was taken aback by the hostility.

'His wife? He is married?'

Xiao Si’s heart sank lower. He has barely met his Yaoyao but he has already made a bad impression.

"Then shall we discuss matters,” Xiao Si said in a much softer and gentler tone. “I'm sorry if I have upset your wife," he added with a regal nod to Jia Yi.

Meng Yao was surprised in the sudden change of tone but still kept his guard up against the beautiful she-man.

"Jiajia, why don't you go get His Highness come tea please," Meng Yao asked as he gently slid a piece of broken hair behind Jia Yi’s ear.

Xiao Si could tell that Meng Yao had inherited the traits of his father; being kind and well mannered even in the face of provocation. It was a relief he hadn't inherited his temper or this would be a lot more difficult!

Xiao Si and Meng Yao sat at a table, prepared to discuss matters.

"So tell me, young Master Liang, why is that you seek my presence?"

Meng Yao studied his bland expression. It seemed that Jun Gui hadn't discussed the details with him.

Edited by Relendria