76: You Have Until Your Birthday; Wise Up A'Huan

The Emperor agreed to proceed with the test and dismissed court. Xiao Si gave his father one look filled with surprise, fear, and anger. The Emperor just gave a tiny shake of his head towards his son and allowed his head eunuch to lead him to the private exit from the hall. Xiao Si turned and strode out through the main doors, ignoring every person who tried to attract his attention and speak to him.
He couldn’t understand how his father could agree to put Meng Yao’s life in danger! Even though he knew that Meng Yao was his son, he also knew that dirty tricks were played in these sorts of affairs all the time. His reputation was now on the line but more importantly, his son’s life was now at risk!

"Damn you, Jun You!" Xiao Si yelled after ducking into a deserted corridor. He kicked the wall in frustration.

Meng Yao said nothing to his daddy and exited on the other side of the large doors. Several people were between him and Xiao Si so his daddy didn’t notice him. However, he had only taken a few steps out of the hall when he paused. General Feng stood to the side watching him like an eagle sizing up its prey. Meng Yao kept his sigh of frustration internal – all he wanted was to get back to his wife – and stepped out of the flow of traffic to give General Feng an appropriate greeting.

"Lord Wang Feng," he said in an expressionless voice with a slight bow.

"My!” Chong Lin exclaimed with a creepy smile that was equal parts malice and anticipation, “You’re basically a copy of your father!"

Chong Lin walked up to him but Meng Yao took a step back. Meng Yao’s face was calm but he was too sensible to not be cautious around the man who had harmed his father.

"You got your father's looks but your daddy's attitude," Chong Lin said, his smile undimmed. "Tell me boy, where is Liang Huan?"

Meng Yao pulled the hood of his cloak to cover his head.

"I don't know what you’re talking about Lord Wang Feng," he answered coldly.

"Hmph! It appears he is dead – too bad. Well, you’re here. If I can't take my vengeance on him then I guess you’ll do as well. The sins of the father are inherited by the son, right?"

The general stood at ease with a relaxed smile but then he suddenly attacked grabbing at Meng Yao's throat. Meng Yao hadn’t relaxed at all so he jumped back immediately, saving himself from the General’s hand.  Though he evaded the attack, it was only by the barest margin and the General left behind a nasty scratch on Meng Yao’s throat. A tickle of blood trailed down his neck but Meng Yao didn't seem to notice the injury. His eyes narrowed and his lip curled up in a disdainful snarl at the General.

"It seems Liang Huan prepared you a little," the General said, his smile widening. “How nice. It’s been a while since I had a challenge. Go ahead and fight me, boy – it will make your eventual defeat at my hands even more satisfying.”

Meng Yao snarl vanished and his face became expressionless again. It wasn’t his father who had trained him but his grandfather. His grandfather was miles more gifted than his father in martial arts but Meng Yao could easily tell that his grandfather wasn’t at talented as General Feng. He made a mental note to figure out who could give him more training as soon as possible.

"If you would excuse me, Lord Wang Feng," Meng Yao said calmly, bowing again in farewell.

"Go on ahead,” Chong Lin said with a laugh. “I won't kill you just yet.”
His smile faded at last and his malice shone through clearly.
“No, I want you to suffer more and only then will I snap your neck – right in front your daddy." With that final threat, Chong Lin strode off with arrogance radiating from his swaggering form.

Meng Yao stayed where he was until the General could no longer be seen. He released a gusty breath and worked on controlling his anger. When he was sure no trace of is irritation showed on his face, Meng Yao cautiously left and went to the hidden palace to hug his Jia Yi.

Jia Yi had been waiting on Meng Yao’s return. Ever since Xiao Si had whisked them away to this hidden palace, he’d had nothing to do. Xiao Si had insisted on servants to cook and clean for them. With nothing to occupy his mind, Jia Yi had been impatient to see his husband again, however when he did, he was shocked to see a long, bloody scratch on his neck.

"What happened?” Jia Yi cried out with worry written on his face. “Who did this? Sit down – let me clean it…"

Meng Yao ignored his words an swept Jia Yi into his arms. He held Jia Yi’s face between his palms and kissed his worry stricken wife passionately. Jia Yi relaxed as Meng Yao used the techniques he had honed during their marriage to deepen the kiss and distract Jia Yi’s concern. As soon as Jia Yi responded, Meng Yao pulled back although he kept Jia Yi tightly in his embrace. He was home and his Jia Yi was there, working his magic and calming Meng Yao’s taut nerves. Jia Yi held tightly to Meng Yao, feeling his husband’s rapid heartbeat. How could he not tell that Meng Yao was deeply disturbed? However, nothing was said as the two remained contentedly in each other's embrace.

Chong Lin was furious by the time he reached home. His calm attitude in front of Meng Yao had been nothing but a pretense. He was furious that his attack had failed and vaguely anxious that the son of his old enemy had appeared before him. Even though he told himself, and everyone else, that he had done nothing wrong twenty years ago, in his heart he knew the truth. In the grip of his fury, he went straight to Huan's room where the boy was studying. Huan had barely risen to greet his father when…

*SLAP!*

Huan’s only reaction was a sorrowful frown, even though this was the first time he had been hit for reasons unrelated to practicing martial arts. Silence filled the room as Huan was silent with face down and eyes closed.

"You of all people, A'Huan!" Chong Lin yelled – his fury in no way appeased.

"I'm sorr –"

"ARE YOU?" Chong Lin cut him off with a bellow.

"I want daddy to be happy," Huan said as he clenched his robes tightly.

"Eh!" The General chuckled mirthlessly, "so, you want your daddy to be happy? A'Huan, your selflessness is your biggest downfall. Do you think Xiao Si will love you after this? Hahaha! WRONG! Even if you’ve never accepted just how cruel and heartless your daddy has always been to you, you will have to accept it in the future!"

Huan watched in complete bewilderment as his father went to the table and took a piece of paper and Huan’s writing brush. He dipped the brush in ink and started writing. Shortly after, Chong Lin finished writing and handed the paper to Huan.

"This is a divorce paper,” Chong Lin told the boy. “It's not official but this is what I will write in the official one later. You have until your fourteenth birthday to choose. If you want to stay with your daddy, give him the divorce paper – however, this will cut our ties as father and son," Chong Lin said in a cold voice.

To say Huan was shocked would be an understatement. His father; the man who had raised him preciously, the one who had taught him how to wield a sword and helped him to shoot his first arrow, the one who he had run to when he wanted attention and who he had slept with as a small child – this man wanted to cut ties with him. Huan’s heart clenched with anguish.

"However, if you choose to stay with me and go against your bastard brother, tear the divorce letter instead of giving it to your daddy. You have until your birthday two months from now to make your decision. I hope you choose wisely, A'Huan."
Chong Lin got to his feet and left the room without another word, ignoring the devastation on his only son’s face.

Huan watched his father leave the room and fell numbly to his knees. Why? Why must he choose between his parents?

Edited by Relendria