SOOTHED MY TROUBLED MIND

"Hi, Elideth Polley. It's me again. You've stolen the interview I should have made and I want this work out for everybody's sake. If you don't accept my terms the countdown to your death will start in 3, 2, 1..."

Seemingly it was not a bad taste joke. The threatening letter arrived again dead on time. This time it was in our Stafford Terrace's mailbox. Our mail never was there, of course. It was dispatched to Queen offices. So that miss, if it was a woman, had presented herself at our home to put it into the mailbox.

A shiver ran down my spine and climbing up the stairs, I hurriedly pushed up the door and locked me down. What should I do?

I had to go to the nearest police station with that. It was the second time that happened. What if she decided to take into action and what she really needed was killing me?

Stafford Terrace was empty for a change. I just wanted to see one person and it was Freddie. I wanted he could hold me and his velvety voice hummed me he would save me from all my fears and insecurities. We'd been more than one whole day without meeting. I started an intense session of phone calls to all his friends to try and find him after consulting the answering machine and checking out there was not any of his messages.

I called all the Queen members, Elton, John Reid... even his parents. Nobody knew anything about Freddie. What if that crazy reporter had kidnapped him?

When the door bell rang I flew down the stairs on three thinking it could be him, he used to forget the keys. But it was only the deliveryman with a packet.

Shit, it may be another threatening letter. I stood staring at it for a while, I hesitated to open it. What if it was a bomb and exploded in my hands. I was shivering so badly that I had to leave it aside, I couldn't even touch it. But for some minutes my eyes couldn't take off it. The temptation to find out what there could be inside was beyond me and ripped off impatiently the wrapped packet.

Before me I could see no more no less than a Speedy. The Vuitton mythical bag, resistent and waterproof, with those entwined initials as the "maison's" trademark. It had the short and half rigid handle and a golden padlock as its beautiful clasp. I couldn't remember if I had talked about it to Freddie although we used to talk about fashion. But this detail was absolutely his style. Giving me things that he knew I was craving for but making sure I was caught up completely by surprise. He was so romantic. What game did play this little devil this time? Was he playing to win his devoted wife's heart?

I opened up the bag, so thrilled, exploding with love. I touched it inside and I found the note. What could he come up with Mr. Freddie Valentino Mercury? Maybe a couple of ballet, opera tickets? The truth is I just didn't mind, I was full of expectant joy. Whatever he came up with, I would celebrate it.

It was rolled so nicely with a little bow

It was rolled so nicely with a little bow. It seemed to me the leader of Queen's undeniable trademark. He loved those kind of details on the verge of sweet nothings.