Chapter 26

Had he done something wrong? Was he just imagining things? 

But... it seemed so clear to him. Those memories of the five of them and him. 

Fuutarou Uesugi stood there speechless. Others around him murmured about what had just occurred. 

 "Ah, he was rejected." was what one said.

"That must be extremely embarrassing." a high school girl added trying not to laugh. 

"What a total loser." 

Itsuki Nakano was out of breath after fleeing from the scene.

"I'm such a total loser." she shook her head. 

Why had she taken off? Perhaps... she wasn't ready to accept the fact he remembers?

They had gotten along pretty well. It was almost like they had hit the reset button after Fuutarou's accident. 

She sat down on a nearby bench. Maybe she didn't feel as though he needed to remember.

After all, there were things that happened that she would particularly like to forget. 

Another sudden realization entered her mind... what if the others found out Fuutarou remembered? 

She could absolutely not let this happen. No matter what!

And with that mentality, she took off back to where the others were.

Yotsuba Nakano was running around along with Raiha Uesugi. She had always wished to have a younger sibling like her. Being second youngest, she had always looked up to her older sisters.

In fact, she believed that Itsuki, who was supposed to be her younger sister was the most mature. 

With Yotsuba, it was always "Be more proper!" and "Is the only thing she can do is run?"

Although she came from a line of sisters who looked exactly like each other, she found a way to become different

She was always the most athletic out of the five of them. While others may see running as a pain and tiring, to Yotsuba it felt refreshing. It made her feel free.

And that just for once... she was different from her sisters.

But that was different with Fuutarou. In fact, he saw the complete opposite. They were all unique one way or another.

Actually, that's a lie... he could only see their differences based on their grades. At least that was true in the beginning. 

"The only thing you guys have in common as far as I'm concerned are your grades!" he would lecture countless times in their living room.

However, as the group started to get along more and feelings started to emerge Fuutarou was able to tell the difference quite easily.

At least, until the accident occurred. Then they all had to restart. 

And that's where they've settled as of right now. At least... that's what they all thought.

"Yotusuba nee-chan!" Raiha cried happily as they ventured off together.

"Oi oi... we need you guys to calm down." Nino said behind them. "There are a lot of people here and we don't need you guys to get lost."

"Where'd Fuutarou go?" Miku said noticing his absence. 

"Maybe with Itsuki-chan?" Ichika offered as she pointed in the direction the two went.

"Jeez... those two better not make this harder on us." the second eldest sister blew her hair out of her face.

"Relax Nino," the athlete danced around the walkway, "We're on vacation! Right Raiha-chan?"

"Yeah!" the little Uesugi grinned as the rest of the group sighed.

They continued walking as the sun beat down on them and many other tourists. 

"Awfully hot for April don't you think?" said Miku as she shielded her face from the sun using her hand.

Ichika was also feeling the heat, "I think we should find some sort of shade."

"There's a place to sit under some trees over there!" Raiha pointed. 

It was a long bench next to a stream of water. The five girls sat down, above them was a grove of trees providing shade. 

After resting a little while Raiha decided she'd cool off by wading in the water, which was what some kids were currently doing.

"Sooner or later it will be summer." Yotsuba commented.

"Right, which means we'll be going back to dad's place." 

As they continued their small conversation, something caught Ichika's eye. 

"Is that Itsuki-chan?" she asked glancing over at someone running across the bridge. 

"Nah." Nino answered, "Why on Earth would Itsuki be running?"

"Maybe she's after a meat bun?" Yotsuba snickered.

"She's coming this way." Miku waved. 

Their younger sibling seemed to notice the group and came over. 

"Someone's in a hurry." Ichika stretched, "Where'd you come from?"

"Is Uesugi-kun not here?" she looked around.

"No... we thought he was with you."

On the inside Itsuki was filled with joy, she had gotten here in time to stop anything from happening. However...

"So... where is he?"

He stood there in shock. His mind had to be playing tricks on him. The images were clear, from the school camping trip all the way to the final school festival...

But Itsuki... 

He didn't understand. From her initial reaction, it seemed as though she knew, but that too could be playing tricks on him.

Nonetheless he had to find out. Maybe not as upfront as last, but he also didn't want to sugar coat it completely.

As he started to walk back to where he'd seen the group last he felt a twinge in his stomach. What if he was wrong?

What if nothing had actually happened between them? What if by some coincidence they had just met?

It didn't seem to add up right. What happened during those last two years of high school?

Then he remembered. The day he woke up in the hospital. The doctor asked a key question:

"Do you know who these five are?"

A simple question. Yes or no in fact.

Yet something seemed odd about it. It could've been the doctor just asking if he knew these five saved his life. Or... maybe it was something deeper.

Fortunately enough for Fuutarou Uesugi, all of his questions would be answered.

A bit too quickly...

Yo! First of all I don't ever remember uploading this chapter two days ago. I'm scared I've been hacked lol.

So some of you... I think like 10? Got to see some spoilers, but here's the finished product for this chapter.

Since winter break's coming I'll hopefully update this more. This is currently the only book I have ongoing so... hope you stick around!

Anyways I'm gonna go to bed now...

Be safe! Mask up! Don't be stupid!

-Kazuya (I really hope I haven't been hacked.)