Chapter 39

"Wait a second wasn't he just with someone who looked like her?"

"Yeah, but her hair is longer and she looks a bit gloomy."

"Is he two timing?"

"No way he could've pulled her."

Fuutarou Uesugi cringed as he found himself in the same store that Nino left him in, this time with Miku.

"If she's not buying me the sweatshirt I'll do it myself." Miku shrugged and Fuutarou followed.

To be honest he wanted to go home. Mainly because he felt all the energy escape him and he had no will to do anything.

Maybe he felt guilty for calling Miku out to meet him and that's why he followed.

No that's not it.

He had been wanting to spend some time with her recently. He'd been with seemingly everyone else for a while, but rarely he was with Miku.

This was also a perfect opportunity for him to try and get more information about the past.

Because something was troubling him. Itsuki told him that she was the one he picked.

It's not like he didn't like her, in fact he did. He liked all of the quintuplets. Shoot, who didn't have a crush on those five.

But something didn't seem right.

Isn't it a bit strange that his memories returned and he could remember everything perfectly, yet he can't remember who he chose.

"Hey Miku..."

"Which one looks better on me?" The middle quintuplets alternated sweatshirts.

Blue or yellow.

"I'm probably not the best person you should ask about these things."

"Just pick."

"Blue I guess."

Miku put the yellow one back.

"Blue kinda is my color huh?" She smiled.

After she paid for the sweatshirt she and Fuutarou made their way through the mall again.

Aimlessly wandering for ten minutes Fuutarou decided to ask her something.

"Um... Miku?"

"Hm?"

"Did I choose someone... during our third year?"

"Why do you ask?" Her ears perked in curiosity.

He took a deep breath. "Because Itsuki said I did."

"Mm... and who did Itsuki say you picked."

"Her."

"She lied."

"Huh?"

"That night... was a weird one for sure." Miku sighed.

She relived the moment. The five of them patiently waited in their respective rooms. Waiting to see if Fuutarou would come and visit them.

Each with their own feelings of love for him.

Each wanting their feelings to be mutual.

But he never showed up.

No one was chosen that night.

"So I really didn't go and visit anyone. That makes sense, but why would Itsuki make it up?" Fuutarou asked thoughtfully.

Miku's eyes closed slowly before turning and walking toward the exit.

"I'm about to find out."

Fuutarou watched her fade away into the crowd.