Chapter 36

"The thing is..."

Itsuki Nakano was panicking. The expectant look on her sister's face pierced through her soul. How could she even respond to something like this? Wait... more importantly how did Ichika even know about this?

She thought she did a good job of hiding it. After all, it wasn't like it was obvious in the first place.

"You're probably wondering how I know all of this?" Ichika flashed her ever present inoocent smile. "Well... I'll break it down for you. You were the first one to know that Fuutarou went to our university correct?"

Itsuki nodded, still unable to find words.

"And from what I can tell, you've been decently close to him. Especially after his accident." Ichika's eyes narrowed, "That little Kyoto trip? You had something planned the entire time, it was written all over your face."

Itsuki was busted. Her face was as red as her hair.

Ichika knew she had her cornered. "So I want to know, what are you planning on doing?"

The youngest quintuplet recoiled briefly, but finally found words to speak. "I'm doing what is best for all of us. That's for me to know and for you to never find out."

"Either way, you know I'll find out eventually. I know you too well, so it's best if you just confess right now."

"All you need to know is I'm doing my best to keep peace. And I'll continue to do so, my way." Itsuki stood up and left the room.

Ichika Nakano sat there unimpressed. This was something her younger sibling had always done. She had always thought of herself as the mature one out of the five of them.

Which, when comparing the five of them she definitely was definitely the closest to mature they got. This though, led to some interesting decisions on her end.

When they were in middle school, Itsuki unknowingly made a decision on the behalf of her and her sisters that caused some major trouble for their father.

What seemed like a good deal from her classmates turned into a horrible situation that caused parents to be involved.

It was for sure not a moment any of them would like to remember. The sheer look from their father sent shivers down all of their spines. Despite that, Itsuki continued to lead the other girls and take responsibility for all of their actions as a group.

The short haired quintuplet watched her sister walk up the stairs towards her room. She decided to give one last parting shot.

"If you're doing what I think you're doing... then it won't work. It didn't work last time remember?"

Itsuki paused for a moment down the hall. Her mouth opened to say something, but once again nothing came out. She tilted her head slightly in Ichika's direction, before opening the door to her room and slamming it.

"That girl really is stubborn huh?" she spoke to herself.

"What are you talking about now?" Fuutarou's cold voice entered the living room area.

"Hm? Did I say something? Woah Fuutarou-kun I didn't know nerds like you took showers!"

"You're confusing me with weebs." he returned. "I guess if you're not going to tell me what you're talking about I won't press you anymore."

"That's so like you." she stretched before laying down once again. "You always don't care unless it involves you, and even then you might not care."

"If everyone focused on the little things that didn't concern them then they would never get anywhere in life."

"Wow... what is that like the quote of the day or something?" Ichika laughed.

"How's work?"

"You're literally contradicting what you just said about not caring about things that don't concern you." she face palmed.

"Well... this does concern me again. I'm still your tutor for now right?"

"I guess so, what would you like to know?" she smiled sheepishly.

"How it's going? What sort of things do you do?" He began listing off multiple questions leaving Ichika stunned at his sudden interest in her work.

"Hmm, I guess that means you want to hear the juicy stuff huh? Like kiss scenes? Sorry but that's a no-no!" she smacked his back causing him to wince in pain.

"I never said any of those things!" he protested.

"But you were definitely thinking it weren't you?"

"This is why I can't I handle you guys. You're all the same, even if you pretend to be different."

Ichika could only nod. She was slightly hurt by his words. All five of them had worked hard to be different. Yet even someone like Fuutarou, who had been there the whole time said they were still the same.

"At least that's what I thought." He continued. "But seeing all of you now, you've all changed. For the good and for the bad. But when the five of you are together, you're the same."

Ichika looked up in surprise. Soon replaced her shocked expression with a small smile.

"We're the same because we're quintuplets?" She offered.

"Exactly. On your own you're all different. But when you're together, you're all the same. That's the point of being quintuplets."

"When did you get so good at this Fuutarou-kun?"

"I've been with you guys for so long haven't I?"

"Then..." a new pair of hands covered his eyes. Without Fuutarou nor Ichika realizing, someone else came in. "Another quintuplet game. Who am I?

"Yotsuba."

"EHHHHHH?!?!??!" Ichika and Yotsuba both yelled.

"How did you-"

"That's impossible..." Ichika gasped. Did he know it was Yotsuba because he was the closest with her-

"You were sweaty after your run so your hands were cold and wet. Pretty easy to tell actually." Fuutarou spoke in his matter-of-fact tone.

Maybe not...

"Mou, and here I thought Uesugi-san could tell me apart easily from the rest!" Yotsuba pouted as she walked off.

"Are you guys stupid? How many times do I have to tell you it's impossible to tell you apart without looking at you."

Eventually though, Ichika thought, he'd have to one day be able to tell them apart.

And when that time comes, only one can be chosen.

So to expose myself and date when I'm writing this, originally I was done with this chapter on September 4, but I forgot to write the author statement until September 11...

Anyways quintessential quintuplets said their final goodbye in the anime by now. And I'm so sad... But everything good must come to an end.

Speaking of end, I don't know when this will end lol not anytime soon I hope, because I'm honestly having a lot of fun seeing you all read. 

Okay enough talking I'll see you all next week!

-Kazuya