Chapter 27

The nineteen year old boy walked in silence. He hadn't dared to look Itsuki in the eye after their conversation. He had regrouped with the rest of them and they continued their adventure together in Kyoto.

On the other hand Itsuki Nakano attempted to make eye contact as much as possible. Sneaking in different looks, trying to make sure their gazes met. She needed the two of them to talk. The youngest Nakano girl had finally come to face reality.

The reality that Fuutarou Uesugi remembered the five of them.

There seemed to be a standoff. Which one of them would submit first? Itsuki was not letting him get away, and Fuutarou was doing his best attempting to bring some distance between the two of them.

However... the two of them had no clue why the other was doing this.

To Itsuki, she was only staring him down so the two could talk. She was afraid however, that she screwed everything up when she ran away, and that's why Fuutarou wouldn't look at her.

Fuutarou took this as a sign that Itsuki was going to kill him. Like a predator stalking it's prey. She was ready to pounce and take him out if he told anyone about his sudden realization. Which is why, he avoided eye contact at all costs.

Suddenly, the college boy had an idea. A way he could avoid Itsuki individually if they were in a group.

"Raiha! Let's go ride that!" He pointed at a ferris wheel.

"Eh? Fuutarou-kun looking to have fun for once?" Ichika grinned.

They got in line along with many other people. It was only until they made it to the front when they realized just how many could fit in one...

"Three is the maximum?" Nino asked. When the operator nodded his head she turned back to the group. "Fine, let's go three, two, and two. I'll go with Fuu-kun!"

This would be the one time Fuutarou gladly accepted Nino's assertiveness. 

"Absolutely not!" Of course... Nino wasn't the only one. 

As the group continued to argue, the operator called the next people in line. 

And at that moment, someone grabbed Fuutarou's arm and pulled him inside of the cabin. 

"Wait-" the operator closed the door and they were on their way. 

There was no escaping this... as Fuutarou stared right at Itsuki Nakano. The person who he had set this whole plan up to avoid.

"We need to talk."

Four words that Fuutarou Uesugi didn't need to hear. As the ride started to make it's way around it's course, neither one looked at the view of the city. 

"Listen. I'm sorry." Itsuki said. "I didn't mean to run away. I was just very surprised with what you said." 

Fuutarou sat there in relief. So she wasn't going to kill him for remembering. Not that any of that was his fault.

"Is that a bad thing?" he asked.

She sat there thinking, "It's just, we've settled into a new adventure you know? You remember everything?"

"What would you say is everything?" he said starting to grow concerned. What if there was a key missing?

"Tell me what you know."

He took a deep breath, and began to tell her everything he knew for sure.

Back on the ground it was only a matter of minutes before the rest of the group noticed they were gone. 

"Up there!" Yotsuba pointed.

"They left without us!"

"Miku and I will go." Ichika said dragging her sister with her.

"Then it'll be the three of us!" Raiha cheered.

Little did those five know of the important discussion happening above them.

"And so that's it." 

Itsuki nodded her head. He remembered everything. To the fine detail. Even the fact that he fell asleep on the bench before telling them who he liked.

"I see... there's only one part that you've seemed to have missed." she said.

"What's that?"

"Who was the girl you liked?" she asked.

He looked away in embarrassment. "I don't remember."

"But you did have one?" an idea struck her.

"I'm positive I did." he said.

"Um... I think I know who it was." she lied.

"Who?"

"M-m-me..."

She wanted to make sure that nothing would come between her sisters. She didn't want that bond to be broken. Especially if they were fighting over someone.

Itsuki was known to be the girl to keep her siblings from fighting and here she was once again. Going to play the hero in stopping them. By telling a lie to her best friend.

She had no romantic feelings for him. At least... that's what she told herself. But for the most part she knew that her sisters were more important to her than Fuutarou and she kept it at that.

Seeing an opportunity at him not being able to "remember" that he chose someone, the quick minded Itsuki made that decision to lie.

She figured, she could turn down his feelings and the other girls wouldn't know about it. Simple.

And if the others found out... she'd be protecting them. Right? She didn't care if her sisters hated her for the rest of her life. As long as they were together everything would be okay...

"R-r-really?" Fuutarou said his eyes growing large.

"U-um... yes..." regret was piercing through her mind. She felt a throbbing pain in her head. Should she bail? However... she had one more shot. "But I'm sure those feelings have changed?"

It was her only option to go with. She couldn't bear to think of her sisters hating her.

Fuutarou tried to find his words. "N-no! It's just... I don't know." he admitted. "And if you're telling the truth, I'm really sorry I don't remember. I promise I don't not like you. But..."

Itsuki wanted to jump out of the cabin right then and there. Now she had caused her friend to doubt her. The web of lies she started was already getting out of hand. 

"It's okay..." she said finally. "I know a lot's going through you're mind right now. But promise me this: when you find out who you like, you tell me first okay? Do I have your word?"

"I promise." 

Fuutarou let out a silent sigh. He wasn't expecting to face this much of a decision. However... one thing didn't make sense to him.

When exactly did he tell Itsuki he liked her?

The meat-bun monster is making some moves! What are you guys' thoughts on this chapter? Also happy new year! Sorry I wasn't able to upload over break...

I keep trying to tell myself to write more, but I have exams soon... Again...

Hopefully you guys enjoyed and I hope you're all safe wherever you are in the world!

Be safe! Mask up! Don't be stupid!

-Kazuya