Chapter 41

"Um, Uesugi-san..." 

Ignored.

"Excuse me, Uesugi-"

Ignored again.

"Hey! I'm talking to you!" 

Ignored every time. 

Itsuki Nakano looked in disbelief as Fuutarou ignored every single one of her calls. He even went as far as to sit way across the room from her during lectures. 

She couldn't figure out why. Had she done something wrong? The last time they talked it didn't seem like anything was wrong. In fact, they seemed to be getting along extremely well. 

So then why now...

She ate lunch alone that. Tucked in a little corner of the university cafeteria. Yet, something was off. She couldn't bring herself to eat the demiglace set in front of her. Itsuki Nakano unable to eat? Not able to eat her favorite meal at that?

For some reason she couldn't shake off this feeling of needing to know why Fuutarou was ignoring her. The two of them not talking seemed to slow her world down. 

She was... lonely without him.

*

"Hm? Fuutarou-kun? What a surprise." Ichika Nakano smiled as she watched him walk through the door. 

"I figured you might be here sleeping."

"Eh...? You wanted to peep on me?" she teased.

"No, I actually need to talk to you about something."

"Of course. You can always rely on your big sis Ichika for anything." she motioned to a spot next to her bed. "What's bugging ya?"

"I... don't know what to think anymore. Our third year in high school, the night of the festival, I remember I was going to go visit you guys. I swear on my life I was. I had someone picked out, and now..."

"You can't remember huh?" she nodded. "Tell me Fuutarou-kun." 

She pulled him in close. Their eyes met, his yellow eyes clashed with her blue. Their face only inches apart.

"Do you feel anything when you look at me like this?"

He felt his heart start to beat faster, the blood was rushing towards his face, moments away from a blush.

She smirked knowing he was trapped. "Hm... is it just me who makes you feel this way? Or do the others girls do as well?"

"Shut up, any guy would've felt the same way I just did." he pulled back.

"Looks like you really can't decide can you?" 

"I just don't want to betray whoever I was going to choose that night." he said quickly, "And Itsuki said..."

"Itsuki said what?" Ichika's gaze sharpened. 

She had been keeping a close eye on her youngest sibling for the longest time. She knew she was up to no good.

"I mean, I was just thinking that-"

"Itsuki said what." her tone changed.

Fuutarou froze, Ichika seemed to be more concerned with what her sister said. It looked like there was no point in lying to her. 

She would obviously be able to tell that he was lying.

"She said that I was going to be the one she picked that night. And that I met her." he admitted. 

Ichika scoffed, "You didn't, you never made it to any of us that night. We had to come bring you home ourselves."

"That's what Miku said."

"Miku knows too?" Ichika raised an eyebrow. 

"Well, we had some talks."

"Are those two the only ones who know?"

"Yes."

The eldest sister didn't want things to be too blown out of proportion. If only a couple people knew she'd be able to keep tabs and make sure she had a handle on this situation. 

It was kind of a dirty play, but as they say.

All's fair in love and war.

She took a deep breath. Knowing that this was her chance to get him to open up to her. 

"Do you trust Itsuki now?"

Fuutarou scratched his head. "I know this is kind of stupid, but I still do. She... helped me, despite possibly lying to me there, yet at the same time it felt like she was right about some things. Knowing Itsuki, there's a good reason for it."

"Fuutarou-kun you're way too nice of a person." Ichika smiled. "I guess that's why everyone can get along with you."

And why everyone likes you... is what she wanted to add.

"But... I've been avoiding her."

"Eh?" 

Maybe he was an idiot.

*

Why was he avoiding her? Even Fuutarou himself couldn't answer that question. It's just... ever since Itsuki said those words he hadn't been able to look at her directly. 

What did she mean it was the best for both him and the others? And she said that she wanted him to ask her out? 

And as for Ichika and Miku, why were they suddenly so interested. Did this really have anything to do with them either? 

He couldn't help but sigh. 

Whatever it was... he wanted answers.

There was a vibration in his pocket. His phone was buzzing.

He picked it up and saw who texted.

It was Itsuki.

Can we talk?

Well, it looks like he was going to get those answers.

Meet me at the park in ten minutes.

Daddy's home...

-Kazuya