Chapter 3 - Rose Thorn

Ink's POV

  I drank tea alone at the dining table. Mother was painting while Father was at the castle.

  A maid took my newly cleaned plate away. A butler offered my satchel to me. I thanked him before slipping out the chair.

Lydia suddenly appeared at my side.

Lydia: Do you wish to know the plans for today, young master?

I nodded as she straightened my brown scarf.

Lydia: You will start attending your lessons at the castle since both your father and mother spend a lot of their time there. Your mother will teach you art while your father will teach you how to advise the king and queen. This is so you can soon take their places as royal painter and advisor.

I slightly groaned.

Me: But I like having my lessons here. I don't like the castle.

My maid shook her head.

Lydia: This is not my order, young master. Your parents wanted this for you. As much as the maids, butlers, and I would love to have you here, we are only the servants.

  She motioned at the front door. I walked outside of the mansion and towards the carriage that was next to the sidewalk.

  Null, the butler, stood outside to the carriage door. He smiled at me as he opened it for me.

  I stepped in and sat down. Lydia climbed in as well, thanking Null in a quiet manner. He gave a warm expression to her, causing me to smile at the cute scene. I was the only one that knew they were secretly lovers.

  The butler took the reigns of the horses and gently flicked them.

  I watched as the town passed by. The carriage slowly approached the castle. I fidgeted with the strap of my satchel, feeling somewhat anxious.

  The horses stopped when we reached the front gates. Once I was ready, we entered the castle grounds.

  I was immediately guided to a room that seemed to be a study room. It was more elegant than the art studio in my home.

Lydia: You will doing most of your studies here, young master. I must go now, I will come and take you home for the night.

She bowed before leaving the room, leaving me alone to my own thoughts. My satchel slid off my shoulder as a sigh escaped through my lips.

(Time Skip)

I sat on a bench in the courtyard, sketching the roses that blossomed on the opposite hedge. The blood red petals were catching to my eyes.

  There was a soft and timid voice that cut through the silence. Looking from my paper, I saw the kid that wore the red scarf. He was looking up and down, keeping little to no eye contact with me.

Me: Hi.

???: G-Greetings.

I motioned for him to sit next to me. He rubbed his arm before sitting directly on the edge of the bench. He sat very properly but his behavior was that of a shy animal.

  I became curious when I figured out that the boy looked to be trying to hide his eye patch from me.

Me: What is your name?

???: G-Geno. What is y-yours?

I recognized him as the eldest prince. I slowly got up, trying not to scare the prince, and bowed to him.

Me: Your majesty. I'm sorry for the lack of respect.

Geno raised his hand.

Geno: Y-You don't have to do that.

Me: Does it make you uncomfortable?

He timidly nodded, not looking away from the rose. I apologized and sat next to him. My finger traced against of the material of my sketchbook.

Suddenly, Prince Geno held out the rose to me. I was slightly startled by the quick action.

Geno: This is for y-you. F-Father said I s-should make new friends.

I slowly took hold of the stem of the rose. However, I felt a sting in my index finger. I pulled my hand away to see black blood forming a drop around the hole that the rose thorn made.

The prince became worried as he gently grabbed my hand.

Geno: I'm so sorry, Ink! I didn't mean to hurt you.

Me: It's alright.

(Time Skip)

I laid in bed as I looked at the bandage that was wrapped around my finger. It brought up the memories of Geno, a smile came to my face. Suddenly, I remembered Error from the forest.

Pushing myself up from the bed, I looked towards my window. I wondered if he was there tonight.

I stood up and gathered my things. I opened the window and repeated the process from the night before.

Chilling breeze bit at my cheeks as I rushed to the forest. I looked around cautiously when I entered the trees.

Me: Hello?

I said with a somewhat quiet voice. There was no answer which made me nervous.

  When I turned around, I suddenly saw Error standing in front of me. I let a scream as I jumped. He smiled at me as he happily waved.

Error: Hey Ink!

He went to say something else but his smiled disappeared and was replaced with a confused yet angry expression. Then he asked a question. It was weird as he didn't even have to look at my body to know.

Error: ...

What made you bleed?