Chapter 46 - Burning Warmth

Ink's POV

I sat with Error at the dining table. Servants placed food in front of us. I received local cuisine that was popular among non-vampires in Kilkree. Error received the only type of food that sustainable for him, a simple bowl of blood.

We ate together in silence. Every once in a while, I would glance at Error and would see him sip from a spoon. The kiss appeared in my mind however, it was changing to something that was more than a kiss. I could not understand why Error kissing me always returned to my head.

  His eyes suddenly moved to meet with mine. My face grew warm and my eyes quickly found that my plate was more interesting. I heard the king next me quietly chuckle.

Error: Are you admiring me?

Me: No! You just glanced at me when I glanced at you which made it seem like I was staring at you.

  I tried to save myself but I knew that the attempt was fruitless.

Error: Oh? Then what about the other times you were "glancing" at me?

  He said as he leaned forward, resting his chin on the palm of his hand. He smiled at me, showing his fangs. I know that my cheeks were becoming covered with rainbow.

Error: And I have yet to mention the fact that you were also thinking about me. What was the thought about? Oh yes... you thought of me kissing you...

  He leaned in closer and whispered.

Error: and much more.

  I knew that my face was covered with blush. My body was burning up from Error's gaze and I could not bare it anymore. I stood up from my chair and rushed out of the dining room.

  As I walked down the hallway, I tried to calm myself down.

'Why did I feel so hot from that?'

  A voice spoke which caused me to stop walking. I saw the familiar face of Xander. He was holding a tray that had a pot and a bowl of rose petals. He placed it on a nearby table and joined my side.

Xander: Are you alright, your grace?

Me: I am fine. I just need to be alone.

Xander: Let me accompany you, to tend to you. I am sure that his majesty would understand.

  I nodded. He walked with me towards my bedroom, bringing the tray with him. After a short quiet walk we arrived at my bedroom. The guards that stood there opened the double doors for us and bowed to me as we entered the room.

  My room had become more familiar to me and it felt more like home. I found a place in one of the chairs in front of the hearth. The flames were still alive but they were dimming. Xander spoke a spell which fueled the fire back to life and warmth soon filled my room.

  I curled up in my seat and watched the butler pour hot tea over freshly picked rose petals. He handed me the cup and bowed to me.

  I took a small sip from the tea and I was instantly calmed. The burning feeling of embarrassment was replaced with the comforting heat of the drink.

  The butler handed me a book to read. I thanked him before he walked away to do any cleaning that needed to be done.

Xander: May I speak, your grace?

  He asked as he placed neatly folded night clothing on the end of my bed.

Me: You may.

Xander: His majesty is hosting a ball tomorrow night. He would love it if you joined him. I know that I have no say in the decision that you make but I wanted to let you know that he wishes to be with you.

  My mind went back to that damned kiss. For some reason, that kiss felt so familiar and I could figure out where I have felt it before.

  I sighed, turning the page of my book and taking another sip of rose tea. It was best that I not think about it as the thought would keep me up for the rest of the night.

Xander: Will you go?

  I thought for a second. I wanted to go but I did not want to embarrass myself in front of the entire kingdom.

Me: ... Yes I will go.

Xander: Very well, your grace. I will have an outfit tailored for you and a mask ready for the ball.

  He finished his chores. He bid me a goodnight and left my bedroom to allow me to be alone before I went to sleep for the night. It was strange seeing Xander as a vampire as I knew him as a human only days before.

  As I stared into the flames of the hearth, watching them dance. Thoughts of the ball came to me. The last one that I had been to was Error's birthday and I ended up being hunted by him. I hoped this one would be normal and like a ball that my mother would host but...

I could only hope