Chapter 2 - The Forest

Ink's POV

  I drew in my sketchbook while sitting in a chair. My father and mother were sitting together in a sofa. Father read a newspaper while mother rested her head on his shoulder.

I heard my father click his tongue, catching the attention of my mother and I.

Father: How terrible. A group of women went missing last night. They were last seen in going into the woods. One of the rumors is that a pack of wolves killed them. Terrible.

My hand spun my pencil before beginning to sketch again.

Father: Ink.

Me: Yes father?

Father: I don't want you ever going into the forest. Do you understand?

Me: Yes father.

I nodded as my hand moved against the paper. However, my mind started to wonder.

'What does that forest look like during the night? Maybe I can go see for myself.'

(Time Skip)

I sat on my bed while looking out my window. People that walked along the stone streets slowly disappeared. I rushed towards my door and silently locked it. I gathered my sketchbook and pencils before stuffing them into my satchel.

After tightening my brown scarf around my neck, I opened my window and threw my legs over the ledge. My hands gripped the vines that grew up the side of brick wall.

Not long as passed when I felt my feet touch the ground. I released a breath as I quickly headed towards the forest.

The chilly night air blew on my face. The town was silent, making me anxious about my surroundings.

The forest eventually came into viewing distance. My pace increased as I began to run towards the trees.

I walked between the trunks, seeing that the atmosphere became darker. My breathing slightly picked up.

Eventually, I entered a small opening. I saw a small lake surrounded by trees. The moon shown above me and I could hear the sounds of the insects. Sitting down next to the water, I pulled out my sketchbook and a pencil.

They wooden utensil danced on the parchment.

???: Hey.

I screamed, dropping my sketchbook and pencil. Turning around, I saw someone sitting on a branch of one of the trees. The person had one of their legs swinging off the branch.

They suddenly jumped down, approaching me. I backed away in fear.

The moon light showed their appearance. It was a kid around my age. He was black boned with blue tear marks. He wore clothing that wasn't as expensive as mine.

There was somewhat a sly grin on his face. He picked up my book and began to flip through my drawings. I quickly stood up with an offended expression on my face. I snatched the book from his hands.

Me: The audacity! What are do you think you're doing?

???: Looking through your drawings.

Me: I have a right to privacy.

He didn't respond to me before showing his hand to me.

???: My name is Error.

I scoffed, slapped his hand, and stuffed my sketchbook into my satchel.

Me: A part of me knew this was a waste of my time.

I began to walk off but Error followed me.

Error: What are you doing in the forest?

Me: That's none of your business.

  I stopped abruptly and turned around to stare at Error with a glare.

  He put up his hands defensively as his eyes widened.

Me: I could ask you the same question.

Error: This is basically my territory. I could navigate this place with my eyes closed.

Error said confidently. I clicked my tongue before continuing to walk out of the forest. However, the boy still followed me.

As we entered the town. I looked around to make sure that no one would see me. Error seemed to have his eyes on the castle that stood above the rest of the kingdom.

The bricks of the castle was dark but the insides were alight. Big plants and trees grew on the building, making it look elegant and almost magical.

I gave him a confused expression. He noticed and began to speak.

Error: I've never seen what the castle looks like with all the lights off.

Me: It would be strange. The castle is always lively at night.

Eventually, we arrived at my home.

Me: My name is Ink.

I said as I wrapped my hand around one of the vines before climbing it. Error stayed on the ground and watched me.

Throwing my leg over the window sill, I closed the window behind me. I looked down and saw Error staring up. He smiled, waved, and then began walking towards the middle of town. I sighed as I closed the curtains.

I took my satchel off and loosened my clothing. Tonight didn't go as I had expected. I met an annoying kid the same age as me.

While laying in bed, I thought about the previous events. My mind went back to the forest. A thought came to me.

'Should...

I go back there?