Chapter 13 - The Blood Moon

Ink's POV

I sketched while sitting in a cozy armchair in the living room. The fire from the hearth was warm which suited the hot cup of tea that sat on the stand next to me.

My pencil stopped moving as I looked up to meet the eyes of my father. He was staring at me but once he noticed that I was looking at him, he turned his head away.

He seemed to be talking with Lydia in a quiet tone. This was one of the moments where I wished I had better hearing.

Lydia occasionally glanced at me and then back at my father, nodding and looking down at the floor. Nervousness began to grow inside of me.

I stood from my chair and headed towards my bedroom to begin packing my satchel for the night.

Servants walked together in groups through the mansion. This wasn't normal for them as they often did the task that were given to them.

I entered my bedroom and immediately started to gather my things. However, I froze when the voice of my father broke the silence.

Father: Stop, Ink.

I turned around, blushing from embarrassment that I was caught. He was leaning against the door frame with a stern look on his face.

Me: Father! I can explain!

Father: There is no need to. I already knew you were planning on sneaking out to go to the forest... like all other past nights.

My eyes widened.

Me: How did you find out?

Father: The king told me about my son having secret get-togethers with his. But I cannot allow you to go out tonight.

Me: Why?

He pushed himself off the frame and approached me.

Father: Did you not pay attention in your studies? It's the blood moon tonight. The night where the moon controls all vampires to feast on blood. It's too dangerous. I forbid you from leaving.

I was speechless. I didn't know how to respond to what he had said. I have read many books about creatures but I wasn't sure if they were real.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Error's POV

Blood. I needed blood. If he didn't want to hurt anyone, then he shouldn't have left the castle. Nonetheless, I'm grateful as this night is such an important event to our people.

I walked through the trees as I was led by a distinctly sweet scent. On the way there I killed a few mortals that failed to hide themselves. They were too busy running away to memorize my face and clothing and the ones that I attacked were drained of all their blood.

I was far from being satisfied. I was still uncontrollably hungry and my body yearned for more.

Looking up, I saw the vines that crawled up the familiar stone wall of a luxurious mansion. An evil grin crept across my cheeks, presenting my extended sharp fangs. I finally made it to my destination.

No boards covered the window. I almost laughed.

'What a stupid mistake to make. Did they not think to secure their windows? Well, less work for me.'

I climbed the vines effortlessly and quietly opened the window. The sweet scent instantly became stronger, it was intoxicating.

Ink sat in a chair that was facing away from me. He was drawing in his sketchbook in his own little world. It was cute but sadly he was going to be emptied by my fangs.

The artist suddenly sighed.

Ink: Vampires. I don't think they're real.

I chuckled quietly to myself and spoke.

Me: Really? That's interesting to hear as they are real. As real as the soles of your boots.

Ink turned around and saw me, quickly getting from his chair and walking towards me.

Ink: What are you doing here, Error? Aren't you supposed to be hiding from the vampires?

I couldn't help but smile wider from bloodlust. He noticed my glowing red eyes and the blood that dripped from my fangs and down my mouth. Ink's eyes widened after realizing.

Ink: Wait. You're... you're...

Me: A vampire. Indeed I am. Surprise, love.

I said before jumping on Ink and pinning him on the floor. He screamed, his eyes filled with fear. All the more better as I loved instilling fear in my prey.

Leaning down, I trailed my tongue against his neck before plunging my fangs into him. He let out a screech of pain as I begin feeding from him.

I felt guilty as I continued to drain my soulmate but Ink's sweet blood was addictive. Even if he had control, I'm pretty sure he would have trouble stopping.

The door suddenly bursted open to show a man. It was obvious that it was Ink's father.

The man yelled out an incantation with his hand extended outwards. Light flashed from his fingers, interrupting my feeding session and burning me for a short period. I noticed that damage that I did on Ink. His neck was drenched in his own blood from my strong bite.

I hissed and backed away towards the opened window. I growled as I jumped out and headed in the direction of the forest.

'That man ruined my delicious meal. Oh well. Better luck next blood moon when I have Ink all to myself in the future.'

I laughed to myself.

'It's weird to think about how different I am compared to him. The one that doesn't have bloodlust while I am eternally and uncontrollably hungry.'

Resting against the trunk of a tree, I looked up at the sky and at the moon. It was as red as a simple cherry but as deadly as a cobra. It had the ability to take control of us just for the sake of killing mortals to fuel the vampire race.

'It will be over soon and the sun will rise anew. I can feel myself becoming weaker and less hungry by the second. I should take us back to the castle so we don't burn to death. In the end, I hope...

I didn't kill Ink