Chapter 25 - A Game

Ink's POV

  Error and I sat on a love seat together in the library. We shared conversations with one another, talking about the years that we were separated.

The library was dark, with the only light coming from the fireplace and the blue moon. The room had the faint smell of book pages and we could hear the sounds of the instruments from the ballroom.

  While the prince was reminiscing of a time that he accidentally broke a window, I thought about his plea for a second chance. There was something that I could not understand.

Thinking about declining his majesty's request, for some reason it completely broke my soul. I did not have the heart to say "no" to him.

Error: That is so sweet of you, Ink.

He said, giving me a sly grin. His dagger-like fangs glinted in the dim firelight, even having a small sparkle of blue from the moon. It was hard for me to break my attention from them.

I scoffed from irritation and looked away from him. I found it annoying that he could hear my mind now.

Me: I hate that you can do that.

Error: I will stop... for now.

After a little while, I looked back at Error. I possessed a question that I wished to ask him.

Me: Do you have to drink mortal blood?

The prince was silent for a second but responded eventually.

Error: As a half-vampire from birth, I do have blood but it is not sustainable for me. However I still need it to survive. I have to specifically feed from mortals as animal blood and shadow blood does not provide enough nutrients.

Me: Shadow blood?

Error: That is what I am and what that mutt is. Those who are not entirely mortal are considered part of the shadow creatures.

He said, staring at the flames. I leaned against the back of the love seat and thought about Error needing to drink blood to live.

I sighed before getting the attention of the prince. Error looked at me curiously, soon seeing me tilt my head to side.

Error: Are... are you being serious?

I nodded.

Me: This stays between us.

He leaned towards me. I heard him inhale as he opened his mouth. Sharp fangs lightly skimmed against the crook of my neck. I shuttered from the touch but tried to brace myself for the pain.

However it never happened. I suddenly heard Error's voice.

Error: Do you want to know something, love? It is not fun to receive your food without effort.

Memories of the blood moon came back to me. That was the last time he called me "love".

Error: How about we play a game?

Me: Like what?

The vampire was silent for a minute, seeming to be thinking.

Error: A game of cat and mouse. You run from me and I will chase you. You are allowed to hide if that is what you want to do.

Error responded with a slight laugh. I could tell he was grinning from how he spoke but he kept his face hidden by staying next to my neck.

Me: What will happen at the end?

Error: If I cannot find you, you win. I will give you anything that you want. If I do find you, then I win.

Me: What is it that you want?

He chuckled quietly.

Error: You know exactly what I want, Ink.

Error said. I jolted when I felt his tongue trail against my neck. After he backed away, I got a chance to see his eyes. The edges of his irises were a brilliant blue, the same as the moon.

Error: I will give you a twenty minute start to find a place in the forest. However...

You cannot hide from me~