Chapter 49 - Dance Together

Error's POV

The drawing room was filled with the sound of back and forth discussion. The vampiric lords debated on ways to better use the resources that were transported from the central kingdom, my residence, to their smaller domains.

I sighed from boredom, looking around at the crowded table. I held the highest power yet I was the youngest vampire. These lords seemed to be anywhere between one hundred and two hundred years old. Although any mortal would have been deceived by their youthful appearance.

A voice grabbed my attention from the other side of the table. Looking up, I saw the Lord of Malmor looking at me with an expecting expression. He was a human vampire with swept back dark hair and black eyes, his extended fangs showed the sign that he had not fed in at least a day.

Malmor: What do you think, your majesty? Would it not be more beneficial to cut down supply to other towns and redirect it to Malmor? My domain is the largest than the rest at this table.

The rest of the lords began to shout, protesting that belief. I listened to their arguments until it began to give me a headache. I raised my hand slightly and instantly, the room fell silent.

Me: I hope you know that you could be ensuring starvation for the rest of the provinces. Blood supply is vital and a highly delicate resource. Even one barrel would have a great impact on several vampires, especially the ones without soulmates. I am disappointed in you, Lord of Malmor. I had high expectations for you since you were one of my elders.

The lord look taken aback by my comment. Clearly he expected a different response.

Me: I will not permit the change of blood supply to any vampiric province as its process is currently the most efficient. Only I will change it if I find there is a reason to.

He nodded and looked down at the table. I saw the other lords give a somewhat smug grin because of my denial of such a stupid idea.

I stood from my chair and walked over to the window that was nearby. Xander stood just next to it and waited patiently for his next order. He bowed his head to me as I stared out onto my kingdom. The streets were lively with people and the buildings were lit up with a dim light. The moon shone brightly from the night sky as the masquerade ball continued on the bottom floor of the castle.

I noticed a figure leaving through the front gates alone. I watched out of boredom but then I picked up a scent, a scent that should not be on him.

The smell of vanilla was distinguishable, the intoxicating scent that belonged to Ink. My cold blood boiled with a strong sense to hunt down whoever that was and kill them. However it would be best for peace if I controlled myself and simply returned to my soulmate.

Me: I will excuse myself now.

Lord: But your majesty, this meeting is not over.

I turned around and glared at the one who spoke. By their expressions, I could tell my eyes were blazing red.

Me: Did I say you could speak? This meeting is over.

I walked out of the drawing room, with Xander trailing behind me, and made my way down the hallway back to the ballroom. My butler offered my mask for me to put back on which I accepted as we entered the large room.

It was still crowded with dancers as I went to my throne. I instantly noticed that Ink was sitting in his throne, watching the people of Kilkree. His rainbow eyes met mine when he noticed my movement. I could hear his soulbeat quicken and I could see he began to blush.

Just like I had left, I kissed Ink's hand. My mate's thoughts rushed but they were all about me kissing him.

Me: Care to dance, my love? The night is still young.

  Ink nodded and joined me in the center of the room. He placed his hands on my shoulders as I rested mine on his waist. As we swayed to the songs of the orchestra, we never broke eye contact. Eventually I leaned down to kiss Ink and he graciously returned it.

  Whoever this stranger was, he should know that...

Ink's heart belonged to me