Chapter 41 - A Threat

Ink's POV

  Reaper and I were sitting in the dining hall, talking about the time that we spent in Valcon. The conversation was calm and uplifting. The werewolf was leaning against the table as he recalled the time of when he ran into his old pack during the time that I was studying at the school.

  I saw that my friend was occasionally glancing at the clock standing at one of the walls.

Me: Why are you staring at the clock?

Reaper: I enjoyed our conversation so much that I didn't notice what time it was. However it's night which means that all the vampires are awake. I hope Mother Nature will safe me from the fury of your soulmate.

Me: Is Error really that terrifying?

Reaper: You have yet to see the true bloodlust of a royal vampire, Ink.

  He sighed as he sat up straight. I knew he was going to tell a story. Reaper had to be the most knowledgeable person that I knew.

Reaper: A few hundreds years ago, a group of werewolves decided to go hunting for vampire prey. They found a female vampire and child in the forest playing together. They brutally killed both the mother and child and then ate their remains. Turns out that the vampires were the loved ones of the Vampire King.

  He stopped to take a breath and think.

Reaper: The king found out and hunted down the werewolves with no end. When he found out who they were, he killed their loved ones by tearing them apart with claws. Then he killed the werewolves by using vampiric venom. He didn't show them any mercy. Although the king had a second child, a male. That child would grow up to be the next king, King Vlad.

  I had recognized that name instantly. He was King Vlad of Zerania and Error's father.

  I was going to ask him a question but the doors of the dining room were suddenly opened. Xander appeared at the doors and smiled at me. However that smile vanished when he noticed the werewolf and I could have sworn I saw a glint of red appear in his eyes.

  The butler looked at me once more, allowing me to see another smile.

Xander: His majesty wishes to see you, your grace.

  I stood up from my chair and joined Xander's side. I wondered what Error wanted to talk about as I was told he left as soon as he woke up.

  Reaper followed closely behind as Xander led us down the complex hallways towards the back doors of the castle. It led to a path that guided us to what I presumed was the cathedral of the kingdom. I glanced at the werewolf but saw that there was small fear on his face.

  When we entered the cathedral, I saw a series of benches that faced a statue of Bloody Mary. Windows made of stained glass lined the walls and pillars of stone supported the ceiling that was decorated with intricate arches.

  There in the center was an elderly couple and the king of vampires. They were talking with each other. Error suddenly stopped talking with the couple and then turned around to stare at us. His eyes were a bright glowing red which somewhat made me fearful.

Error: I would like an explanation for why there is a mutt in my kingdom.

  He growled through fangs.

Me: I let him stay here as he is my friend.

Error: Ink, werewolves are forbidden to enter this kingdom. They are a threat to us.

  I approached him, fiddling with my brown scarf as I was secretly anxious. Error probably already knew of my nervousness since my mind was racing with thoughts.

Me: Vampires are a feared race in Zerania and yet you and the king had lived there for years. What is wrong with a werewolf staying for just one day?

  I stared into the red eyes of the man in front of me, never breaking contact. Error's face slowly became covered with blush but he smiled and leaned close to me. His mouth was near my neck but he never bit me, only whispered.

Error: I like that you are challenging me, Inky.

  My face was quickly colored with rainbow.

  The vampire then turned his attention to the werewolf that stood not too far away from us.

Error: As for you, I will allow you to stay another night since it is my crowning and that is something to celebrate. Once that is over, I do not want to see you again in this kingdom or I will personally pick up silver just so I can give you a slow and painful death. I suggest...

You pray to Mother Nature