Chapter 47 - Masquerade

Ink's POV

  The maids carefully attached pieces of jewels to my silky tunic. Once they were done, they handed me a jeweled mask and bowed to me. I put it on and left my bedroom to head to the ballroom.

  As I was walking down the hallway, I felt on tap on my shoulder. Turning around I saw Error. My cheeks felt warmer from the memories of yesterday but I managed to somewhat control it.

Error: Good evening.

Me: Good evening your majesty.

  He held out his hand to me and I accepted it by wrapping my arm around his. He seemed surprised but quickly smiled as we walked down the hallway together. The king spoke softly to me.

Error: You look enchanting tonight.

  I turned my eyes away as shyness suddenly grew within me. My cheeks were becoming covered with rainbow blush but I did not want him to see it.

Me: Thank you, your majesty.

Error: What have I said about formalities when we are together?

Me: We are going to a public event, formalities is necessary.

  Our conversation fell to silence when we reached the ballroom. I could hear an orchestra and the recognizable sound of an organ. The subjects of Kilkree were dancing and enjoying the good time and I liked seeing them happy.

  Public events were much different back in Zerania. It was boring and everyone danced but they never enjoyed it. It was solely for the royal family or for the lords.

  All noises disappeared and everyone turned to look at us. My breathing, much like the music, stopped as their eyes landed on us to stare. Error seemed to sense it when he suddenly put his other hand over mine for comfort. I looked up at him. His mask covered most of his face but I could still see his eyes, and the gentleness in them.

  I released a breath and we soon began walking through the large crowd towards the thrones that were at the end of the room. When we passed, everyone bowed to us. I was not used to being looked at as a royal by normal citizens. All of this was fairly new to me as I have only been here for one week, and Error and I had barely started our duties as royals.

Relief came to me when we finally reached our thrones. I unwrapped my arm from Error's and found my place in the extravagant chair. I felt protected when I saw guards clad in steel standing to the sides of us.

  Our subjects stared at us expectedly, waiting for something. I quickly glanced around to figure out what they were wanting us to do but it seemed Error knew exactly what they wanted. With a simple wave of his hand and the king's permission, the music and dancing continued.

  I watched vampires dance gracefully with their soulmates. The red satin fabric of the dresses twirled around the large room, like a garden of roses in a cool breeze. I saw the extravagante masks that they wore. Some had black feathers, others had glistening jewels, and there were even ones made of porcelain.

  As I watched intently, a group of vampires led by a butler approached the thrones. The guards moved closer in alert. The visitors wore fancy outfits, ones that were not for dancing but for political matters. They all bowed to us which I took as a good sign.

Error: Speak.

  The butler nodded and began talking.

Butler: These are vampiric lords from the smaller kingdoms. They have come to celebrate your crowning and discuss some important matters with you.

  The king released a small sigh and shifted in his throne.

Error: Can it wait? This is supposed to be a night of dancing and fun, not political discussions.

Butler: Yes it is but I am afraid they cannot wait, your majesty.

Error: Very well. Lead them to the drawing room.

  The butler bowed and led the visitors into one of the many halls. Error stood from his throne, walking over to me.

  I stared into his red tinted irises as he took my hand in his.

Error: I have to take care of some matters. I will return, my love.

  He spoke deeply as his kissed my hand. I felt his sharp fangs graze against my bone. As he followed after the group, I could feel rainbow coloring my cheeks.

  As I sat there by myself, I found that watching the dance without Error was boring. Even if we did not talk it was nice knowing that he was there with me.

Me: I am going to excuse myself.

  I claimed to the guards as I left my throne. One trailed behind me as I headed down the hallway that led to the private garden.

The garden was quiet under the pale light of the moon. Mary's statue stood in the center like a silent watcher of the flowers that grew in her presence. After finding a bench to sit on I politely dismissed the guard that had followed me. He bowed and left me alone to the peace that surrounded us.

I closed my eyes, listening to the sounds of the owls and insects. The melodies of the instruments could be heard from afar as it was carried through the air.

???: This is quite a beautiful garden, your grace. I have one just like this at home.

I turned around, startled by the sudden voice. At the entrance of the garden I saw...

A figure watching me