Chapter 24 - Uniting

Error's POV

I read a book at my desk, listening to the music downstairs. I enjoyed my solitude but it felt somewhat strange as Xander was often by my side.

He said that he had a task to do but he never revealed any details to me. Although I had my suspicions due to the mysterious invitation allowing Ink to attend tonight's gathering.

To put it simply, I was worried that I might lose control in front of the mortals. Despite the fact I fed a few hours before, I could still be overcome by hunger.

  My thoughts were interrupted when I was suddenly hit with a sweet smell. I stood from my chair, walked over to my window and looked out.

  There at the entrance of the castle, was Ink. My face grew warm as all of my feelings for the mortal returned to me. I felt too much as I began to experience the effects of the blue moon.

  However, all of that temporary vanished when I saw Ink standing next to another man. All I felt then, was unfathomable rage. I needed someone's head on a silver platter.

I growled before turning around and walking out of my room. No one was in the hall as they were either in the ballroom or the kitchen.

When I turned the corner, I ran into my older brother. He put a hand on my shoulder to stop me.

Geno: Why are you angry?

Me: There is something that I need to take care of.

The king sighed as he pinched the bridge of his nose.

Geno: Please do not tell me this is about Ink's new friend.

Me: That is exactly why.

He looked with a slight glare.

Geno: Mortals have friends, Error. Calm down, it is normal.

  Despite me being much stronger than him, he used the same look that father would give me to intimidate me and it worked.

Geno patted my shoulder before walking with me down the hallway towards the ballroom.

Geno: Do you know where father and mother are? And do you know where Fresh is? I cannot find either of them.

Me: Father and mother are having intercourse. For Fresh, I never know where he is.

  The butlers noticed us approaching and readied themselves to announce us. However, Geno stopped them as he did not want to interrupt the dancing.

I looked out onto the floor, watching the mortals and vampires dance together. The only time when there was not conflict between the two races, even if the mortals had no knowledge of my kind's presence.

I joined my brother by sitting in the throne made specifically for me. I glanced at the third, seeing that it was still empty. After Geno had asked, I was curious about where my older brother was.

  My eyes scanned the dancers. Eventually I found the Ink's friend. He was dancing with a woman, not seeming to know the moves as much as others. I focused my senses on him to figure out what he was.

Me: You should have a word with the guards, Geno.

Geno: Why?

Me: They let in a stray dog.

  He hummed as he crossed one leg over the other. We continued to watch but our attention was pulled away when we heard Fresh's voice.

Fresh: I apologize for being late. Father had given me a task and I finished later than I expected. What have I missed?

Geno: Bloodborne is bitching about a werewolf in the castle.

My eldest brother responded while giving me a glare for a second. I glared back and decided to focus on Ink.

His height had not changed much and his features had matured from his childish look. His style remained the same but his clothing certainly matched a regal aesthetic for tonight.

A smile spread across my cheeks. It had been a while since I last shown an expression of happiness. Although, I could feel the moon taking a stronger hold on me. I needed to stay in control.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ink's POV

As the music stopped, I stepped away from the woman I was dancing with. I bowed to her before walking off.

I left the ballroom and headed down a certain hallway, I wanted to see a room. Those that worked at the castle did not seem to mind that I was walking in the halls beyond the allowed area of the guests.

  I eventually arrived at a familiar door. My hand rested on the wood before gently pushing it open. I was greeted with the same room that was given to me when I held my studies at the castle.

The chair that sat next to the window was in pristine condition, not seeming to have aged a day. The pieces of literature on the bookshelves were perfectly lined up in alphabetical order and the wooden furniture had recently been cleaned of its dust and dirt.

It was silent with the faint sound of violins as I walked around the room, reliving the memories that I had. I remember the day that Geno and I drank tea together next to the window. I was able to learn more about the prince and grow closer to him as friends.

A sudden knock on the door startled me. Quickly turning around, I expected to see one of the guards but it was actually Error.

It almost scared me how much taller he had grown, being quite short only a few years ago. He towered over me now.

The once wonder-filled glint in his eyes was gone and his face had a somewhat stoic expression. It made me wonder to myself.

'What pain had Error went through to lose the excited curiosity in his eyes?'

Error: Discipline training, Ink.

He suddenly responded to my thought. My eyes widened.

Error: I can hear your mind. It is one of the abilities of a vampire. Though I can only hear yours, for obvious reasons.

I calmed down and straightened my stance, trying not to think. I bowed to him.

Me: Your Majesty. It has been some time since we last saw each other.

Error: Please do not use formalities.

I nodded before speaking once more.

Me: What is it that you want to say?

He sighed.

Error: I want a second chance. I know that you are angry with me for what I did on the night of the blood moon but-

Me: You could not control it, I know. I have heard that many times. Why should I give you a second chance if you are just going to try to kill me again?

Error: Because it was not me at the time. Even if it was, I did not have discipline. I do now. I have trained endlessly to control my hunger around you. I have gone days, even weeks, without feeding so I could strengthen my ability to survive without blood for a longer time. I have surpassed my father in discipline.

Error's stoic expression broke, showing the same kid I met in the forest.

Error: I do not wish for your forgiveness, Ink. What I did could have been prevented but I do wish...

For a second chance