Chapter 27 - Courtyard

Ink's POV

  I felt warmth as consciousness came back to me. I yawned and opened my eyes. The curtain of the one of the windows was pulled back to let in the sunlight.

  However, my peaceful awakening was interrupted by an ache. My hand went to the pain, feeling two holes embedded in the bone of my neck. I winced, feeling more pain as I touched it.

  I sighed before looking around. I realized that I was in an unknown bedroom and laying in a bed that belonged to another.

  My clothing that I was wearing the night before was completely replaced by a silky shirt. The fabric was high quality, so expensive that not even my family could afford it.

  I heard a door open. I turned my attention and was greeted with the butler that escorted me to the ballroom last night. I tried to remember his name, being Xander I believed.

Xander: Good morning, your grace. Did you sleep well?

Me: Yes, I did. How am I here?

  I questioned, watching him move towards a table next to the wall. Xander was holding a tray with a pot of water, rose petals, and a cup. There seemed to also be a small medical kit.

Xander: His majesty brought you here.

Me: Did we-

Xander: No, you did not. His majesty stopped himself before he got carried away. There is no need to worry. You were simply unconscious due to the pain.

  The butler responded, pouring hot water onto the flower petals to make rose tea. While the two ingredients were mixing, Xander picked up the medicine and walked over to me.

Xander: Tilt your head, your grace.

  I reluctantly did what he asked. I felt a small cloth drenched in alcohol lightly press against my neck. I grimaced but allowed him to continue cleaning the bite.

Xander: I do not mean to alarm you, your grace, but this particular bite is not going to disappear.

Me: What do you mean?

Xander: It is a vampiric marking.

Me: The permanent one?

  He nodded, placing a small bandage over it. I sat in the bed, thinking to myself.

  Xander handed me a cup of tea. I thanked him before taking a sip from the drink.

Me: Where is his majesty?

Xander: He is sleeping in the chair.

  He said, motioning in a certain direction. In a dark, shadowy corner of the room laid Error. He was curled up in a chair under a warm blanket. He was in the only spot in the room that was not touched by sunlight.

  I noticed the pillow that he was resting his head on. It was brown with a hint of faded white. It seemed familiar but I could not place my finger on it.

  Xander noticed me staring at it. He smiled at me.

Xander: That is your scarf, your grace. His majesty somewhat... borrowed it... before you left for Valcon.

Me: So that's where it went.

There was suddenly a quiet knock on the door. Xander hurried and creaked it open to speak with the person on the other side.

Xander: What do you need, My King?

I heard whispers and saw the butler nod. He glanced at me.

Xander: The king wishes to see you, your grace. I will fetch you some clean clothing before you join him.

He bowed to me before leaving the bedroom.

(Time Skip)

Geno and I walked together in the courtyard, a guard following behind us.

I admired the roses that grew on the hedges. They were kept in perfect condition. There was not a single leaf or petal that was withering.

Geno: After we parted ways, I did not see you for the rest of the night. Error returned for the rest of the celebration after doing something. Where did you go?

Me: I was running an errand.

I said, trying to hide the light rainbow blush on my cheeks. The king glanced at me for a second before picking a rose. He plucked the thorns off the stem and offered the flower to me.

Geno: Your friend is a real charmer. He would not leave me alone. In fact, I believe I had him thrown out of the castle because of his annoyance.

He slightly laughed. I smiled in response, twirling the rose gently between my fingers. I wondered how Reaper was going to capture the heart of a stubborn king.

  We turned a corner, immediately seeing Prince Fresh. He noticed us but did not make any movement.

Geno: You remember Ink, do you not?

  The prince nodded, staying silent. I glanced at the prince, seeing him glancing back at me. Before the king could say anything else, the prince interrupted him.

Fresh: I have some reading to do.

  He said before walking off. Geno hummed as he watched his younger brother head towards the castle.

Geno: Strange. He is normally more talkative and open to others. Perhaps he got into a dispute with father and is having a bad day.

  He shook his head and sighed. After regaining his composure, Geno sat down on a bench and motioned for me to join him. He sent the guard away, leaving us alone together.

Geno: Now we are alone and not stalked...

Let us take this time to just chat