Chapter 43 - Little Vampire

Ink's POV

  Error and I walked towards the town square, guards trailing us not too far away. Once the coronation was over the people had returned to their homes and shops to continue their lives.

  I admired the town square when we arrived. There was a fountain surrounded with pristinely kept black rose bushes. The ground was covered with smooth stone which they were covered with moss that was growing up from underneath. From above, strings of magic candles were hung to provide light for those that were not vampires. A variety of different shops created a circle around the fountain which marked the main part of town.

  After one had noticed us, several others approached Error and I. They wanted to hold personal conversations with us however, I grew quickly overwhelmed by them that I had to let the king take full control. Vampires admired their ruler and they tried to impress Error by giving him gifts.

  As I stood near the fountain, watching the water ripple, I heard a small voice from the side of me. When I looked in the direction of the whisper I saw the little girl from the cathedral. Her mother stood behind her, having a sweet smile on her face as she looked at me.

  The guards stood in front of me but I dismissed them, kneeling down to greet the child. I noticed that she was a young vampire by her tiny fangs and the reddish hue in her eyes.

Me: I remember you little one.

Girl: Are you the...

  She looked back at her mother and received a response of a few mouthed words by the woman.

Girl: ...The Grace?

  The question made me realize something. I was no longer a lord, I was a ruler of an entire race. I was not married to Error yet but me being his soulmate had made me become more than a noble from a small mansion.

Me: Yes I am.

Girl: I brought you this.

  The girl lifted her hands and presented a small basket full of baked bread.

Girl: My mother and father bake these everyday so their fresh. But I baked these myself for you.

Me: Why thank you.

  I said as I took the basket. The bread looked delicious and it caused me to suddenly feel hungry. The little girl was talented as I could see it in the designs on top of the bread.

Me: These look really good. I will be sure to enjoy them when his majesty and I return home.

  She smiled warmly before running back to her mother. I stood up, basket in hands, and began to join Error. However the  girl stopped me once more. Her mother looked embarrassed when the little girl grabbed onto my pant leg. The king of vampires looked at her with glowing red eyes but he relaxed when he realized the little vampire was not a threat.

Girl: Can I hug you?

Me: Of course.

  I said as I kneeled down again, pulling her into a hug. She pulled away and returned to her embarrassed mother and giggled. I smiled to the innocent child and joined Error's side.

  Error glanced at me as he talked with other vampires. The look in his eyes was a small call for help. He wanted me to save him from the bombarding questions of the curious people.

Me: Your majesty.

Error: Yes?

Me: There are some matters we need to attend to at the castle.

Error: Very well.

  He waved to the people before walking back to our home. I walked beside him, still holding the bread that the girl had given me.

Error: Thank you. That was exhausting.

Me: You are welcome.

(Time Skip)

  I collapsed on my bed and closed my eyes. This was the first time that I had been able sit or lay down today. Outside, the moon was high in the sky and the vampires were fully awake.

  A thought of the blood moon came to me. It worried me that it was coming soon and that more than half of the Kilkree population would become feral beasts in an endless search for blood. I hoped that the dungeon would be secure enough to keep everyone safe.

Error: I will keep them safe. I will not allow any mistakes this time.

  I shot up into a sitting position when I suddenly heard Error in my room. He was standing at the end of my bed, his eyes glowing with hunger.

Me: I did not hear you come in.

Error: I apologize for not announcing myself.

  I moved to sit on the edge to which he shortly after sat next to me. I could not pull my attention from his gaze. I reminded me of something that I have felt before but I could place my finger on it.

Error: May I ask you a favor, Ink?

  He asked softly, looking away shyly. I allowed him to continue. I saw his hands, they were clenched tightly. It was like he was holding back something.

Error: Can I feed from you?

Me: ... Yes.

  I turned myself towards him. Error moved his hand up, moving my brown scarf out of the way. Leaning down, I felt his tongue trail up my neck and the cold touch of his sharp fangs. A small pain surged through my body when his teeth sank into my neck. This time, as he was satisfying himself, Error was...

Being gentle