Chapter 20 - Night Talk

Ink's POV

I laid in my bed and Reaper was curled up in a pile of pillows in wolf form. His fur was a dark grey and he had a little piece missing from his left ear. Bandages were wrapped around his hind leg, keeping the wound from becoming infected.

Me: Reaper.

He lifted up his head and his black eyes stared at me.

Me: Why were you in that bear trap?

Reaper: It's a long story.

Reaper communicated with me using a version of telepathy.

Me: I have all night.

There was silence for a second. Then, the wolf shifted into a skeleton again.

Reaper: Alright. If you really want to know.

He leaned against the pillows and began sharing me his story.

Reaper: I am the son of alphas. After I grow up, I would find my soulmate and take the role that my parents had. However, turns out that my mother had gotten drunk and cheated, soon becoming pregnant with me. It was around the same time that mom had sex with the male alpha so they both assumed that I was theirs. One day, "dad" stormed into the hut and began yelling at my mother. I was outside playing in the dirt until I heard one single sentence that ruined my life.

He took a pause, like he couldn't stand to relive such a memory.

Reaper: "I didn't know I would be raising the son of a bastard." Not even a day later, the alpha commanded some warriors to take me into a far away forest and kill me. My mother wasn't given a punishment, the alpha loved her too much. They are soulmates after all. I managed to get away but I ran into that rusty trap. They laughed and agreed to leave me out there to bleed to death. Luckily, you found me and saved me from death.

Me: That must be hard for you to bare.

He nodded.

Reaper: My own pack didn't want me anymore when they found out I wasn't a pure bred alpha. No one wants a mutt being their leader.

I leaned forward and hugged him. It seemed like he needed one. He was only fourteen and his pack wanted him dead even though he had nothing to do with his own birth.

Me: Do you wish to talk about something else?

He nodded. I moved back to my spot and thought to myself.

Me: What do you know about vampires?

Reaper: You want to know more about your soulmate, Ink?

Me: How did you know?

He quietly laughed.

Reaper: You have the smell of a royal on you. His scent is very distinguishable. Although, you haven't been in contact with him since it's quite faint and he hasn't marked you yet.

I gave him a look of confusion.

Reaper: A vampire has to mark their mate to permanently claim them. However since you are the mate of the next king of vampires, no peasant bloodsucker is going to mess with you. Royals can have a bad temper due to their strong vampiric side.

Me: Do you know what their behavior is like?

Reaper: They are more connected with their primal instincts than other races. For example, feeding or mating. Their urges are affected by their mood and the moon, like werewolves in a way. A blood moon causes them to lose all sense of rationality and become stronger in every way. It's like a different person takes over their body entirely.

I motioned towards the bite mark that was still healing on my neck and gave him a joking smile.

Me: I have personal experience with that.

He noticed the bandage.

Reaper: I should make you a healing potion, it shouldn't be taking that long to heal. Anyway there is the blue moon as well.

Me: What does that do?

Reaper: It doesn't make them aggressive if that's what you want to know. It still heightens their senses but it makes them extremely clingy.

As time passed, Reaper shared me the knowledge he knew on different races. To my surprise, he knew the least about werewolves despite him being one.

He did tell me that shadow creatures, like werewolves and vampires, are unable to feel romantic love without their soulmate. Reaper has yet to meet his.

Overtime I grew tired. I let out a few yawns which told Reaper that I was done talking for the night. He shifted into a wolf and curled up once more in the pillows.

I cuddled into his soft fur. He jolted when he felt me.

Reaper: What are you doing, Ink?

Me: Your fur is so soft. Like a bedtime animal.

Reaper: You are making a terrible mistake.

He said in a scared tone.

Reaper: This can get me killed.

Me: How so?

Reaper: Your love is the prince of vampires. He is much stronger than I am and he can kill me easily if he wishes. My scent on you endangers me. Vampiric venom is toxic to wolves and I do not want to die. Even if I am soft, refrain from cuddling me.

I groaned, refusing to move.

Me: You can worry about that later.

He growled and rested his head on the pillows.

Reaper: ...

I'm going to die because I'm soft