Chapter 19 - Rooftop

Error's POV

  I sat at the dining table while staring at the silver plates that were placed in front of Geno and Fresh. A part of me was envious that my brothers were able to touch silver without burning. Such a precious metal was dangerous for people like me.

  Fresh seemed to notice that I was spacing out quite a bit. He leaned forward slightly, resting his chin against the palm of his hand.

Fresh: What is on your mind?

  I looked up at him. He seemed to back away somewhat at the sight of my glowing red eyes. Father was still starving me to test my endurance and control.

  Not feeding for five days had caused my fangs to become sharper in order to better pierce the surface of someone's neck. It was my body's natural response to being prevented from feeding on a daily basis.

Me: I'm thinking about how you two are able to eat while I cannot.

  Geno sighed, placing his fork on the table.

Geno: Father just wants to know you are not going to become a monster in the presence of others. It's obvious that you still have a long way to go.

Me: What do you know about vampires, Geno? You're just a mortal like everyone else in this damned castle.

  I scoffed as I leaned back in my chair. My comment caused to my oldest brother to show an irritated expression but he still kept his composure.

Geno: Because my brother is a vampire and I have known him since the day he was born. Our parents taught me the knowledge surrounding vampires so I know a few things.

  My brother had caused me to become silent. Conversation had ceased between the three of us. As they continued to eat their supper, I wondered when my father would allow me to feed again.

  I sensed someone behind me which caused me to turn around. I saw Xander standing there, seeming to be there to tell me that I should begin my studies for the night. However, something else caught me attention.

  I smelt Ink's scent on him. He had been in my room.

  Something inside of me snapped. I stood up and glared at Xander, feeling myself become angrier by the second. However, my butler wasn't fazed by my intimidating expression. He was used to my occasional outbursts of rage.

Fresh: And this is why father wanted to begin your lessons.

He said calmly, twirling his food around with his fork. I managed to calm myself down.

I walked towards my bedroom, ignoring the fact that people were calling my name. I needed to be alone at the moment.

When I entered the room, I immediately calmed down by the scent of vanilla and cocoa. I lifted up my pillow and grabbed the brown scarf that was hidden underneath.

I stared at the cloth in my hands. A sad smile appeared as I gently hugged it. Even though smelling it made me more hungry, the scent also made me long for the nights of sneaking out to see Ink.

A sigh escaped me as I turned to leave my bedroom. I kept the scarf close to me, making my way to the stairs that led to the roof of the castle.

Some of the butlers and maids wondered where I was headed but none of them said anything in fear of angering me.

  I climbed onto the roof of the castle and sat down. I held the brown scarf close to me as I stared out into the far horizon.

  The air was chilly but it didn't disturb me. The rest of the kingdom had retreated to their beds for the night, leaving nocturnal animals to be the only ones that were awake. The horizon was dark. Apart of me wondered if I could see Valcon from here, the kingdom that my soulmate was in.

  I looked behind me when I sensed someone. It was Geno. I noticed that he was holding a cup in his hand as he carefully sat next to me. The irony smell instantly struck me, making me hungry.

Geno: Here.

  He said before handing me the cup. I took it and began drinking it while making sure none of it dripped onto Ink's scarf.

Geno: Please don't tell father about this.

Me: It won't matter if I do or not. He will still find out one way or another. Besides, he'll notice that I will not have red eyes anymore.

Geno: Who would have thought that this kingdom would have a bloodhound for a ruler.

  He said jokingly. I looked at him with an annoyed expression.

Me: I have that same bloodhound for a father.

  He laughed at my statement. Then there was a small moment of silence.

Me: What was yours and Fresh's father like?

  Geno thought but eventually sighed.

Geno: That was so long ago that I am not quite sure if I remember. I was very young and Fresh was just a baby. But I believe... he was a noble ruler. He didn't treat mother the best and I think that he actually had a concubine.

  I hugged the scarf, the thought of a concubine made me angry.

Geno: But now mother is with your father and I can tell that she is happier. I may not be related to King Vlad but he has been a better father to me than my real father ever was.

  He looked at me, older brother teaching the youngest.

Geno: I know that father may be harsh on you but he genuinely has good intentions. He just wants you to be happy and be a responsible king. You can't be happy if you kill your soulmate. That's why you have to gain control of your true self.

  He said reassuringly while putting his hand on my shoulder. I smiled in return.

'Alright, I will try my hardest to learn discipline so...

I can see you again, Ink