Chapter 4 - A Chat

Ink's POV

Error leaned in as he questioned me. His eyes were staring into my soul. I felt myself become somewhat uncomfortable but also warm inside. My cheeks grew hot as blush appeared on my face.

Error: I'll ask you again, Ink. What made you bleed?

There was an intimidating tone that came from him. He sounded terrifying for only being a fifteen year old like me.

Me: A-A rose thorn.

He grabbed my hand and unwrapped the bandage. I saw the pierced hole in my finger. Error lightly touched it.

I was expecting it to hurt but I was surprised. Error was gentle, contrasting from his personality a few seconds ago.

Even though I have only known this boy for two nights, he was quite confusing yet very intriguing to me. However, I still found him extremely annoying.

Error: Where did this happen?

Me: Why do you want to know?

  I said sardonically.

Error: So I can figure this out.

  I sighed as I pulled my hand away.

Me: From the castle courtyard. The eldest prince gave me a rose and one of its thorns pricked me.

Error looked up at me. I could have been wrong but there seemed to have been a tiny spark of familiarity when I mentioned the prince.

Me: You got your answer. Happy?

Error: Yes.

  He said with a grin as he forcefully grabbed my hand again. There was silence between us as the boy looked at my finger once more. He began to pull me in a direction.

Error: Come with me.

Me: What are you doing? Everyone knows that this forest is dangerous. Its filled with werewolves and vampires. That's why I am staying near the edge.

Error: That doesn't scare me. Come on.

  He led me further into the forest, holding my hand for the entire time. I held my satchel tightly to make sure that I wouldn't lose it.

  Error seemed to be looking for something specific. Then, he became excited and pulled me to a tree.

  I watched as he got on his knees and picked leaves off of a certain plant. He walked back to me and held out his hand, telling me to give him mine.

  Error softly wrapped the leaves around the hole. It instantly made my finger feel better.

Me: What type of plant is this?

Error: I don't know but my mother said that this plant has healing properties.

After checking my hand, I turned around to leave. However Error held my hand.

Me: Stop being annoying.

Error: I will when you sit with me.

I couldn't help but sigh as I sat on the ground with the boy. He seemed to be in a happy mood. My eyes looked around while I tried to block everything out.

The forest was eerily quiet. The only sounds were insects and the howling of wolves.

Me: Why are you in the forest?

Error: Freedom. I don't get much where I'm from. How about you? Why are you here?

I clicked my tongue, leaning against the trunk of the tree.

Me: Curiousness. My father told me not to come here but I wanted to see what made this forest dangerous. A group of girls went missing a few days ago.

Error: I heard about that.

We talked to each other for what seemed like hours.

  I eventually looked out into the horizon to see that the sky had gotten brighter. This meant that daylight was approaching.

  Error noticed this as well but he seemed to become worried about it.

Error: I need to get home.

Me: Why?

Error: Because I'm... because my father is going to kill me if he sees that I snuck out.

  He took some leaves, placed them in my satchel, before taking my hand and dragging me with him.

  We rushed towards the town. We exited the forest and reach my home soon after. I started to climb up the vines to my window. Error seemed to be in a frantic state but he stayed to watch me enter my bedroom.

  I looked down at him. He waved before running off. I noticed something very strange. Error seemed to be...

Avoiding the light