Chapter 42 - Crowning

This is a longer chapter.

Ink's POV

  I stared from my balcony, watching the town below come to life. Though they were far away I could still see that people walked around towards their occupations and others shopped. Children ran and played which was something that I did not often see back home. Kilkree reminded me of Zerania except most things happened during the night.

  A voice suddenly spoke from behind, causing me to slightly jump. However once I saw that it was Error I turned around to watch the inhabitants of the kingdom.

Error: They are more lively than most nights. The servants say that this is the most they have seen in eighteen years.

Me: I thought you were practicing at the cathedral.

Error: I wanted to see you first.

  He responded as he sat down in the chair next to me.

Me: Tonight is when you finally become king. I still remember meeting you in the forest.

Error: That was only three years ago.

Me: It feels like it was more than that.

  The vampire sighed as he crossed one leg over the over.

Error: There is something that I must tell you, Ink.

Me: What is it?

Error: The blood moon is very soon, in two days. You must stay in your room that night and you cannot leave it no matter what. Guards will be standing in front of your room as well as the balcony so you have protection.

Me: What will happen to you?

Error: Myself and the rest of the vampires in this kingdom will be taken to the dungeon at the edge of town and will be held there until the moon is no longer red.

Flashbacks of the blood moon from three years ago went through my mind about Error's carelessness . However it seemed that he was much more focused and serious about keeping everyone safe this time.

A yawn slipped out as I leaned back in my chair. I had been awake since early this morning has I also had to practice a little for Error's crowning. I was ready for the event to be over so I could go to sleep.

The both of us sat in silence which was pleasant in a way. When I glanced at Error, I saw a faint expression of exhaustion. It looked like the prince had not gotten any sleep either. Although from what I remembered Reaper telling me was that his presence most likely kept Error awake.

The tiredness in his eyes disappeared abruptly before he looked at my bedroom doors. Just as if it was perfectly planned, Xander entered the room. He bowed to us and spoke.

Xander: Your majesty, your grace, it is time.

(Time Skip)

I looked at myself in the mirror. My clothing was changed to something more regal in dark colors. Lace was a prominent feature of the outfit which was very similar to the fashion back home. The torso part of my clothing was made of black silk and on top I wore pieces of jewelry. The bottom of my pants were tucked into expensive dark leather boots.

Everything that I wore was so unfamiliar. The only thing that was familiar was my brown scarf around my neck.

I suppose I did not hate the outfit but it was certainly not what I was used to. It felt like it all was moving so quickly that night. The boy that I met in the forest was once the youngest prince of Zerania and I had not known of his vampirism, only knowing him as Error. Now that same boy was becoming the king of his people and with me... by his side.

A soft voice broke my thoughts, luckily saving me from the anxiousness that was building within me. I was greeted with my personal maid, Beatrice.

Beatrice: Are you alright, your grace?

Me: I do not know. I will be walking down the asile with his majesty so he can be crowned... and we are not even married.

Beatrice: Yet.

I turned to her with a somewhat surprised look, making herself realize that she had said that out loud.

Beatrice: I apologize. It is just... all the vampires and non-vampires, like myself, are so excited to finally see you two be together and here to rule this kingdom. My wife was especially ecstatic that she did not even think about feeding. Now, let us leave.

I followed behind her out off the room. I saw Error and Xander standing just outside the main room of the cathedral. The butler was fixing any mistakes that Error's clothing had before the ceremony. For some reason seeing Error like this, wearing royal clothing with his cloak and jewelry, made rainbow blush slowly appear on my cheeks.

Error met my eyes and smiled to me, a bit of light glinting on his fangs. He held out his hand to me so that I could take hold of it. I reached out and then intertwined my fingers with his. We walked in together which grabbed the attention of all the attendants of the ceremony.

I looked around as subtly as possible. The benches were filled with people of all ages and races. The aisle led to the statue of Mary and sitting below her were two thrones. I noticed that a man stood in the center and was waiting for us, it was Error's father.

Once we reached the set of steps that led to the thrones, Error let go and allowed me to continue walking. He had stopped in front of his father who I assumed was the one to crown him.

I sat in my throne and watched from there. Everyone was staring at the two vampires. Error knelt down and King Vlad began to speak. The speech was long and somewhat boring but I knew this meant a lot to the people of Kilkree.

  There was no physical crown which I remembered hearing Error say that his family did not believe in them so what was used instead was a symbol that was drawn on his face with blood.

  The new king stood up, walked past his father, and joined me in the adjacent throne. The former ruler began another speech however I could not focus on it.

  In one of the front rows was a family. A child was pointing at me and talking to her mother with a smile. I began to fear that the child was judging me. Glancing at Error, I saw him looking back at me with that same type of smile.

'Do you know what she is saying?'

  I thought so that only he could hear my question. He responded by nodding and then whispering to me.

Error: She is saying that...

You are pretty, Ink