Chapter 18 - First Lesson

Error's POV

  A knock on the door pulled me from my slumber. Without my permission, the door was opened and the person from the other side walked in. The pace of the heart beat and the smell of the blood, I knew that it was Xander.

  He pulled apart the curtains to let in the moonlight.

Xander: Good evening, your majesty.

Me: Is it night already?

Xander: Indeed it is.

  I groaned as I pulled the sheets over my head. I knew that tonight was when my father would begin my training, teaching me to have immaculate discipline before I become an adult vampire.

  The sweet smell from the hidden brown scarf reassured that everything would be alright. I needed to do this if I ever wanted to see my mate again.

  After a few minutes of laying still in the bed, I pushed myself up and got out. A yawn slipped from my mouth. My fangs glinted any light that remained in the bed.

  Any light source that wasn't born from the sun directly wasn't harmful to me. For example, candlelight or moonlight didn't hurt me.

  Xander began cleaning my room, something that he did every night while I studied. I hoped that he wouldn't find Ink's scarf that I secretly had. However he was good at being a butler, too good.

Xander: The king is waiting in the dining room for you. I would make haste your majesty.

  I left my bedroom and entered the empty marble and stone halls of the castle. As I made my way to the dining room, I listened carefully to everything around me.

  The smell of blood wasn't strong like it was during the day. Sometimes, when I'm extremely hungry, I wouldn't be able to fall asleep because I would be too fixated on feeding.

  However, nothing could compare to the intoxicating smell of my mate. Just thinking about it made me hungry for his blood. The taste still lingered on my tongue from the blood moon. Ink's blood tasted like cocoa and vanilla, my favorite flavors.

  When I finally walked into the dining room, I saw my father sitting his chair at the long table. He was sipping from a chalice of blood.

Father: Sit with me, Error.

I found a chair next to him and slid into it. I looked at him but he didn't return the glance. The king swirled the blood in the cup before setting it on the table.

Father: How was your rest?

Me: It was good. Better than the usual days.

Father: The comfort of your mate's scarf helps, doesn't it?

My eyes widened slightly at his statement.

Me: How did you know about that?

Father: I'm your father, Error. I know when an unidentified yet familiar smell enters this castle.

I looked at the table in embarrassment. I was never able to have secrets with my father's impeccable sense of hearing and smell.

A maid suddenly appeared from behind and placed a non-silver cup in front of me. I slowly grabbed it and began taking sips from it. I somewhat recoiled at the bitter taste. My mind was so focused on Ink's taste that I had temporarily forgotten that every other blood that didn't belong to him was either bitter or sour.

Father: That's normal. I sometimes forget that other bloods don't taste like your mother.

There's was a moment of silence between us. It was just us as most of the maids and butlers were asleep. I finished the last sip from my chalice.

My father set his cup down and looked at me.

Father: Right now you start your training.

Me: Right now?

He nodded.

Father: Your first lesson will be endurance. From now on, you will not be receiving any blood to feed from.

I glared at him in confusion and anger.

Me: What?! You're going to starve me?!

Father: No. I simply just want to know how long you can go without feeding. We have to strengthen your endurance. Because in this kingdom of mortals, a mateless vampire might have to go weeks...

Without feeding