Chapter 51 - Interruption

Ink's POV

  A toothy grin spread across Error's face and his eyes slowly turned a crimson red.

Error: Are you now?

  He leaned in to whisper.

Error: That is lovely to hear as I have always been in love with you.

  I felt my face grow warm once more. Error pulled me in for another kiss, I could feel his sharp fangs. I returned it as I moved closer to him. His body was dead cold but the water was comfortably warm.

  The kiss gradually became more passionate. I wrapped my hands around his neck and licked his bottom lip. He chuckled before slipping his tongue into my mouth.

  However, suddenly the door to the room opened. The vampire let out a growl, breaking the kiss and looking around the fountain. His eyes were the same color of red but they burned with a different emotion.

Error: What?

  He questioned whoever was at the door. I recognized the voice that belonged to Xander.

Xander: There is a visitor.

Error: I am busy. Tell them to come some other time.

Xander: I am afraid not. It is Ink's mother.

  The king let out a sigh through his gritted fangs. Error met eyes with me before placing a quick kiss on my rainbow covered cheek.

Error: We will continue this some other time, my love.

  He moved away from me, allowing me to stand up. I walked to edge of the pool to find that Xander had brought me a set of clean clothing to change into. Thanking him, I dried myself and slipped them on. Once I showed that I was ready, the butler opened the door.

  As Xander led me out of the room I looked behind me. Error was sitting at the far end of the pool with his arms resting on the stone edge, staring up at the light purple sky. There was roughly two hours left before morning.

  We walked down the dark hallway towards the drawing room. I noticed that slowly the servants dwindled in numbers as the shifts were rotating.

  The drawing room came into view from around the corner and I could feel some excitement jolting in my chest. It had been some time since I last saw my mother. I hoped that she was doing well. Xander pushed open the door and I was then greeted with my mother sitting patiently in one of the plush chairs.

  She was wearing an elegant dress that perfectly fit her figure and the color harmonized with the tone of her skin. Her curly black hair was pinned up in a neat style with a few pieces of jewelry threaded in. With how she looked, one would have a hard time believing that she was an artist.

  Mother was staring out the window but when she heard the door open, she turned to face me. A smile appeared on her face.

Mother: My dear son. I apologize for arriving at the time I did. I was unsure when you would be awake so I took a chance.

  She stood up to walk over to me. I embraced her in a loving hug and gave her a small kiss on the cheek. I led her back to the chair and sat next to her. She grabbed my hand and held it gently in hers.

Me: It is okay. How are you?

Mother: I have been well. Though I have deeply missed you. How is your new life here in Kilkree?

Me: It was overwhelming at first but I have been settling in. There is a routine starting to form.

Mother: That is good.

  Suddenly a yawn slipped out. Mother started giggling lightly which led me to show a confused expression.

Mother: You almost fooled me into thinking that you were a vampire, you are just missing the fangs. I see you are adjusting to being awake in the night and sleeping during the day.

Me: I guess I am. Everything important happens during the night in this kingdom so my sleep schedule has been ruined.

I said while rubbing back of my neck. She smiled at me, falling silent in the conversation. We sat together without speaking for a couple of minutes.

Me: How is father?

Mother: He is doing fine. He has been worried about you too. In fact he wished to come but the king needed him to stay for political reasons.

Xander placed two cups on the table and began pouring tea into them.

Mother: Oh I almost forgot. I wanted to talk to you about the upcoming party in Zerania. It is the king's twenty second birthday and he wanted to invite you since you two are friends if I remember correctly. He found out that I was leaving to come see you so he asked me to tell you.

Me: I will make sure to attend it.

After a little more conversation, mother was escorted to one of the many guest bedrooms in the castle and I was left in the drawing room. Within a few minutes, Xander had returned with a stack of parchment in his hands.

Xander: While you are still awake, your grace, I would like to talk to you about something.

Me: What is it?

I asked as I yawned again.

Xander: Since you are adjusted to the life here, his majesty thought that it was a good time to start you on your royal duties. He has been a bit stressed with all the work as he has been taking care of his and your roles.

Me: Okay, what do I do first?

I asked. The butler handed me one of the papers. It was information about an annual festival that takes place in the kingdom.

Xander: I understand that it may be a bit much for you but I have no doubt in your abilities that you...

Make this festival wonderful