Chapter 39 - Morning in Kilkree

Ink's POV

  I laid on my bed and stared out the large windows. It was day and the entire atmosphere of Kilkree was different from the night. I closed my eyes and focused on my surroundings.

  The bed under me was perfect compared to any other that I have laid on before. Satin comforters were spread across the mattress and the pillows were filled with soft feathers. The colors were a soft beige and light violet which were pleasant to look at. Gold trimmings lined the bed frame, having small symbols and the crest of the Kilkree kingdom.

  I touched the shirt that I wore. It was that same expensive silk that my family could not afford. However, I could not help but feel calm with it on.

  The morning was something special to behold. Birds sang their welcoming songs to one another and the beautiful notes floated through the air. A light breeze was blowing, some seeping in through my opened windows. The kingdom was silent, being completely different from the night before when it was active with life.

  Something about this castle relaxed me. Even though I knew very little about it, I felt protected here. Perhaps it was because of the well trained guards or something else.

  My mind suddenly thought of Error. I stared up at the ceiling as I continued to think about the vampire. He had went to sleep some time ago after we returned from the garden. The story of Mary was interesting to me, the reason why vampires loved blood so much was because of an unbreakable curse.

I opened my eyes and pushed myself up into a sitting position. I released a soft yawn, looking around my room. It was quite empty but I was sure that I could quickly make this place feel more like my home from Zerania.

The door suddenly opened and I was greeted with a young woman. She wore a short dress that was decorated with silver threading of flowers. That was the standard maid attire for this castle from what I have noticed so far. She introduced herself as Beatrice.

Beatrice: Good morning, your grace. I hope that you have been enjoying yourself.

Her smile was welcoming which made me feel relaxed in her presence.

Beatrice: We prepared breakfast for you if you would like to follow me to the dining room.

I nodded and stood up from the bed. When we walked out of the room, I took a quick glance towards the dark wood double doors that led to Error's bedroom. I somewhat wondered if he might still be awake but I did not want to disturb him if he was not.

The maid led the way to the dining room. I admired the beauty of the walls. The colors of the building were much darker but it paired wonderfully with the achitechture of the furniture and walls. The curtains were pulled shut to keep light from coming in and there was almost no noise.

The only ones that were awake were me and the servants that were not vampires, which was a smaller amount of people. However it was quite peaceful.

Beatrice and I entered the large dining room. The floor was made out of dark hard wood and there was a long blood red rug that was spread out across it. Velvet curtains hung over tall windows but light was provided by crystal chandlers lit by magical fire. I was amazed by the fire as magic was a rare sight back in Zerania, my father being one of those rare wielders of it.

She motioned for me to sit in a chair that was located at the end of the table. My seat was next to another, which I assumed was for Error when he was awake.

A plate was placed in front of me. The food looked delicious and I had not realized that I was starving until now. I could not remember the last time I had eaten anything. I took the first bite was instantly happy with what I was served. It tasted like a dish I grew up with.

  Beatrice stood next to the table, with a soft smile on her face.

Beatrice: I hope it is to your liking.

  I nodded.

Beatrice: Let me know if you have questions. I will be happy to give you some knowledge about your new home.

Me: I do actually. Why does everyone call me "Your grace"?

Beatrice: The title is supposed to represent the peace of the kingdom and the grace of Mary. We tend to stay away from "Queen" since not all vampire couples are male and female. Like you and his majesty for example, you both are males.

  I nodded one more. As I thought about it, I would not mind being called "Queen" as I kind of liked it. However, the title "Your Grace" also sounded nice.

Me: What am I to his majesty? Other than the fact that I am his soulmate.

Beatrice: To him, you are his entire world. You are his purpose in this life and you are more important than leading a kingdom. Vampires are more in tune with their animalistic side and love is their strongest instinct.

  She gave me a bit more knowledge before letting me continue eating in silence. She was beginning to walk away when a guard suddenly bursted into the dining room. She met with him and they talked for a split second.

  Beatrice quickly turned to me with fear in her eyes.

Beatrice: Your grace, I suggest you finish your meal as soon as possible and make your way to your room at once.

Me: Why?

Beatrice: There is...

A werewolf