Chapter 10 - Masterpiece

Ink's POV

My hand glided across the canvas as a picture slowly appeared. The high pitch sounds of the violins filled my bedroom and the laughter of the people made it hard for me to think. My mother hosted a party downstairs which I did not personally attend.

I didn't understand why my mother decided to have a party at this late of night. Sadly, this meant that I couldn't sneak out as it would be risky.

'Would Error care if I didn't show up?'

I placed my paint board down along with my brush and walked towards one of my bookshelves. My hands traced the bindings of my sketchbooks, trying to find a certain one. I stopped once seeing the book that I searched for.

  The sketchbook held many drawings of scenery and landscapes that I had imagined. I sometimes wondered if these places existed out there past the horizon.

  I flipped through the papes before stopping on the sketch that would be serving as my reference.

  Suddenly, I heard some taps on the window. My attention quickly went to the curtain covered glass. I had a feeling I knew the cause of the small noise.

  I exhaled a sigh, walked to the window, and pulled open the lavish brown curtains. I was instantly greeted with Error. He was standing on the sill with a smile.

  Cold air rushed in after I unlocked the window.

Me: What are you doing up here?

Error: You weren't in the forest so I waited but you never came. So... I came to your place instead.

  He gave me puppy eyes and sweetened his tone.

Error: Can I enter your bedroom, please? It's quite cold out here.

Me: ... Fine.

  I sighed as I allowed him to get past. He jumped down, landing with grace before looking around my room. While he did his own thing, I went back to my painting with my reference sketch.

My hand picked up the paint brush once more and lightly dipped it into red oil paint. Error hovered over my shoulder, watching me slowly form the picture. I could feel his warm breath on my neck.

I felt my cheeks grow warm with rainbow blush lightly dusting them. I planned on asking his majesty to take a step back but I decided to hide it behind humor to keep the atmosphere from becoming awkward.

Me: Listen shorty. There's this beautiful thing called personal space.

Error huffed childishly.

Error: Just because I'm slightly shorter than you doesn't mean I haven't stopped growing. The queen and the king are quite tall and I haven't had a growth spurt yet. I am going to be taller when we grow up.

I giggled quietly to myself.

Me: I believe that you're going to be taller than me. I have stopped growing. But for now... I'm going to tease you about it.

I said as I gently poked Error on the forehead. He playfully glared at me but I could that he was holding back a smile. The prince went to sit on my bed while I continued to paint.

A loud shriek of laughter rang out, causing Error to put his hands to his head and my hand to jolt. The new streak of red oil paint ruined my painting as it ran across the canvas.

  I felt anger surge through my soul. I couldn't hold it in as I kicked the easel and stormed to the edge of my bed.

I sat next to Error before curling into a ball. I could feel the prince's eyes on me.

Error: Are you alright?

  I shook my head, feeling tears form at the corner of my eyes. Error's expression matched that of my own as he brought his legs up to his chest, almost replicating my sitting position.

Me: No. For the past few weeks, I've been working on that painting and now...

  Tears of frustration rolled down my cheeks.

Me: it's ruined.

Error: I'm sorry that happened.

  He stood up from the bed and walked over to the oil painting, which was surprisingly not damaged from my sudden outburst. He picked it up before walking back.

  Error placed in my hands as he sat down again.

Error: What do you see?

  He said while motioning to the painting.

Me: I see a... red streak ruining a once beautiful masterpiece.

Error: Look closer.

  I stared at it once more but nothing came to me.

Me: Where are you going with this?

Error: I see change. An opportunity to make something better than it once was. Even though there was a mistake, you can work with it and make it better. This is painting is and always be a masterpiece.

  A smile appeared on his face and I could have sworn that the blush lightly colored Error's cheeks and the edges of his eyes turned red. He whispered quietly but it was still loud enough for me to hear.

Error: ...

Like you, Ink