Chapter 22 - Letter

Ink's POV

  I enjoyed the fresh air of the recreation area. Earlier that day, I had finished a long and difficult exam that lasted for most of the morning. The time that I had spent studying had caused me to cherish the small moments of freedom that I had in the afternoon.

  I was sat on a bench as I drew in my sketchbook, Reaper at my side. He was alert as he found out that the other students often harassed me for being from a different kingdom.

  My friend suddenly tapped me on the shoulder which made me stop drawing. I looked and followed his stare to a person that was walking towards us. They had a satchel hanging over their shoulder and they held a letter in their hand.

Reaper: Who is that, Ink?

  He asked, a slight growl emitting from his voice.

Me: I do not know.

  I responded before standing to greet the mysterious person. They greeted me back before handing me the letter. I stared at it curiously before opening it. It seemed to be an invitation to a gathering of some sort.

  Reaper noticed the look of surprise on my face, leading him to ask me what it was.

Me: It is a letter saying that I was invited to a gathering celebrating the eighteenth birthday of the youngest prince. However, I have not yet been allowed to return to my home.

Reaper: Who is the sender?

  I moved my sight to the bottom of the paper however, I only the saw the words "An Acquaintance". Whoever sent me this letter decided to remain unknown. I shook my head as I looked at the werewolf. He hummed, showing an expression of suspicion.

Me: Do you think I should go?

Reaper: Of course you should go. It's a chance to see your love.

I looked at the letter, my mind screamed that I should stay at the boarding school. I was safe from the sharp fangs of a ravenous vampire. Nothing could make me forget the agonizing pain that shot through my body when Error attempted to kill me.

However, something deep inside encouraged me that should see Error again. Something that... was long forgotten.

(Time Skip)

I waited in the main hallway of the school, quietly reading a book. The occasional sounds of scratching annoyed me, leading me to look away from my page towards the werewolf.

Me: What are you doing?

Reaper: This sleeves are itchy. How do you mortals wear these things everyday? The lace is unnecessary and they get in the way of my hands. And you forced my wolf to bathe which is not something we werewolves like to do.

A sigh slipped from my lips. I almost could not believe that he was complaining about some irrelevant lace.

Despite me knowing that I would be safe in the castle of Zerania, Reaper insisted on joining me due to the life debt. He was not fond of wearing mortal clothing but what he often wore was not suitable for a royal celebration.

Me: Quit your growls of protest, Reaper. You are not dying from the lace or the bath. Cacao and silver is what kills you.

Reaper: The bath still carries over. I can smell the lilac. Honestly Ink. Out of all the scents, you chose lilac. Why not pine or oak? Something that smells like the forest where I used to live.

Our conversation was interrupted by a man walking in through the front doors. He was a middle aged human male. The black hair on his head was speckled with grey strands and he had dull brown eyes.

I closed the book, assuming it was the man to take me back home. He greeted me with the same respect he would a royal, which was strange as I was only a lord. He bowed to me as he spoke.

???: Good afternoon, your grace. I will escort you back to your home. Pardon me for being excited. It has been a long time since I last saw you in the castle. My name is Xander, it is a pleasure to finally meet you.

Me: I am charmed with your manners, Xander. It is a pleasure to meet you as well.

He stood up straight, smiling warmly.

Xander: Although I can say, his majesty will be even more excited than I am. He could hardly sleep the entire day.

He moved towards the door, motioning towards the carriage. However, Reaper stopped me. Xander looked at the werewolf with a curious expression.

Reaper: Small question. What will the moon look like the night of the celebration?

The butler took a small moment to think.

Xander: I believe...

A blue moon