Chapter 17 - Companion

Ink's POV

I looked out the window of my room, too bored to think of anything fun to do. As soon as I had said goodbye to my father, my studies immediately started.

  The professors were strict and my peers were highly judgmental. Despite being the son of two powerful people, I felt weak among them.

  Sighing, I leaned my head on the desk. I wondered what Error was doing as I hadn't seen him for a while. To be honest, I enjoyed spending my nights with him.

The memory of the blood moon flashed through my mind. However instead of giving me fear, I was filled with frustration. There was a possibility that he could have prevented such a thing to happen.

I stood up and walked out of my room. I needed to take a walk around the town.

The walls and floors of the school were darkly colored. Almost everything was made out of black oak. Chandeliers hung from the ceiling and paintings of important figures decorated the walls. The library, mess hall, and class hallways could all be accessed from the main entrance.

Other male peers talked with one another, all being different races. I hadn't made any friends as I was considered to be too childish in their eyes.

I looked down at the rug covered floor when I heard some them whispering about me. I heard mean comments about my clothing even though my clothing was most likely more expensive and mature than theirs. They laughed about the bandage that I kept on my neck. Error's bite mark had yet to completely heal.

I missed Zerania, where I wouldn't be judged for who I was. Error tried to motivate me when my painting was ruined during the late night party and he would find something fun for us to do under the light of the moon. Geno was a good friend, always keeping me company during my study periods at the castle in the day even though he was shy.

As I walked outside, I trailed along the tree line of a forest. It brought memories of Error that I still enjoyed to recall. That is, until I heard whimpering.

Looking around, I tried to find what was making that noise. It was coming from inside the woods. I rushed into it and followed the sounds. It sounded like an injured puppy.

Eventually I found the source. I was surprised that it wasn't a puppy, but rather a skeletal boy around my age. He was laying on the ground and crying.

I looked over his body and saw something that horrified me. The boy's leg was caught in a rusty bear trap. Instantly, I went over to it and started to pull open its deteriorating teeth.

When it was open enough, he used the rest of his strength to put distance between him at the trap. Blood made pools on the grass and there were scuffs covering his face, legs, and hands.

Me: Are you okay?

???: I'm mostly okay but my ego has been broken.

I did my best to stop the bleeding. I would have to take him back to my room to fully help.

Me: What's your name? Mine is Ink.

???: Nice to meet you. I'm Reaper. Heir of the lunar pack. Well... I used to be.

I looked at him while I walked with him back home.

Me: You're a werewolf?

Reaper: Born and raised.

  We continued to walk but Reaper suddenly stopped and turned towards me.

Reaper: You saved me. Why?

Me: Because you were hurt.

  He was silent for a second but he suddenly bowed to me.

Reaper: I am forever in your debt. Wherever you go, I will go to protect you.

Me: You don't have to do that.

  I said, reassuring him that he didn't own me anything. However it seemed that he wasn't going to break.

Reaper: When we werewolves have life debts, we cannot break them. My life belongs to you now, because you saved it. I will be your loyal companion and friend until the end of your days.

Me: Do I have a choice in this matter?

Reaper: No. A debt is a debt.

  I sighed in defeat.

'I guess...

I have a companion now