Chapter 44 - Our Kiss

Ink's POV

I sat at the dining table while eating lunch. It was a simple meal. There was a glass pot filled with rose tea that was accompanied with porcelain cups. A snack tray stood with three layers, each one having unique snacks that brought delight when consumed. I wanted to keep the meal small as I was alone and it was busy day.

The dining hall was empty but I could hear footsteps rushing on marble and hard wood flooring. Tonight was the night of the blood moon and everyone was hurrying to finish preparations. There were more guards, armored in silver and carrying swords made of silver.

I had not seen Beatrice at all today, she was presumably with her wife. It reminded that this did not just affect Error but more than half of his people.

Suddenly, there was a set of footsteps coming from the hallway. They were not like those of the servants as it was more relaxed and quieter.

I sat up straight when I saw figure appear at the double doors. A cloak was wrapped their shoulders and covering their body. The hood was pulled but I could still see the facial features. Unknowingly a smile to my face when I recognized who it was.

Me: I thought you were supposed to be asleep, Error.

Error spoke no words as he began to walk towards the table. He kept his head down to shield any light that may have found its way through the curtains. By how silent the vampire was, it caused me to tense up since I did not know what his next action was.

Eventually he stopped next to me seat. He was staring down at me which gave me conflicting feelings.

I was going to say something however, I was quickly interrupted. Error placed a gloved finger under my chin and quickly leaned down locked our lips together.

My eyes widened and I had almost dropped my tea cup from shock. I felt sharps fangs against my bottom lip but I did not feel in danger by them. A single thought came to my mind.

"This kiss... Why... does it feel so familiar? Have I kissed Error before?"

Surprising, Error did not respond even though he normally would. The kiss deepened but it soon disappeared when the vampire pulled away.

Neither of us moved for a few seconds until the vampire finally spoke.

Error: That is for the possibility that I might not live tonight.

Me: Why would you die?

Error: If I do not consume enough to keep myself from starving.

He stood up and turned to leave. However I grabbed his arm to keep from walking away any further.

Me: That kiss. Did... you mean it?

Error: I have never been more serious about anything. I am in love with you, Ink.

Error gently forced me to let go.

Error: I must go. Even though it is not night yet, I can feel myself become more hungry. Every second that passes I am losing myself to the monster within me. Please stay safe and do not leave your room tonight.

I nodded and watched as the king of vampires left the dining room and headed towards the dungeon at the edge of town.

(Time Skip)

I sat in one of the chairs that were in front of the fireplace. My bedroom was quiet, almost too quiet. I could not hear anything from neither outside nor the hallway. Occasionally I heard guards talk to each other but I was unable to understand any of their words as they were outside my room.

Looking towards the windows, I saw a group of guards standing on the balcony. They were all facing the railing and waiting for any threat that might want to climb up from the side.

As I sat alone, my mind began to wonder. I thought about the kiss from earlier that day and how... strangely comforting it was.

My hand moved to touch my bottom lip, the one that the fangs were grazing against.

Reaper: He must have exceptional discipline.

I jumped in my seat by the voice of my werewolf friend. He was sitting in the chair next to me and watching the flames dance.

Me: How did you get in here? There are guards surrounding my bedroom.

Reaper: I hid under your bed for the entire day. I knew they would want me to leave before the red moon since werewolves also become feral tonight.

Me: Then why are you not losing yourself to the moon?

Reaper: There is an old tribal spell that my alpha family used during blood moons. It keeps alpha wolves safe from losing control. Luckily I learned the spell before they kicked me out of the pack. However vampires are incapable of learning it.

  I nodded. I was still learning of the differences between the two races.

Me: What did you say about discipline?

Reaper: That soulmate of yours must have excellent control. On the day of a blood moon, royals would have already lost themselves to hunger. Not only was he able to stay in control until the moon appeared but he also was able to kiss you without biting you.

Me: How do you know about that?

Reaper: Simple. I can smell him on you.

  I could tell that rainbow blush appeared across my cheeks as my face had grew warm.

Me: Error said that he might die tonight.

Reaper: How do you feel about that?

  I thought for a moment.

Me: I...

Want him to live