The Sorting

Jasper, and Harry both got off the train, and went onto the dock. They were in a crowd of only first years, and a big man who was the gamekeeper named Hagrid called them all over. "Fir' years over here!"

Harry, and Jasper both went in a boat together with a girl with dark brown curly hair. "This is so cool." Jasper whispered to Harry.

Harry nodded excitedly. "I can't believe it, Hogwarts. We're so close."

The boats started to move toward the castle, and the girl in the boat smiled with wonder in her eyes. "Stop whispering to each other, and look!" She pointed to the castle.

It was amazing.

Hogwarts was huge. It was a stone castle, with many turrets peeking up, and thousands of lights that when they got closer realized were windows. "This is just like in the movies." Said Jasper.

The girl looked at them both. "I'm Marlene McKinnon." She stuck out her hand. Jasper, and Harry both shook it. She looked at them both, and her eyes focused on Harry. "Oh wait." She started. "Aren't you-"

"Just ignore them Sev, they're a bunch of bullying prats!" The three of them looked over to the redhead girl who was scolding Sirius Black, and two of his friends.

Marlene shook her head. "It is not even the end of the first day, and people are already fighting." She looked at them both again, changing the subject to Hogwarts again. "Do you think it's true there are moving staircases?" Jasper did a double take at this information. "Because I read in Hogwarts: A History there is, and I am fascinated to see how they work!"

Harry nodded. "I am too!" He looked at Jasper. "I forgot to mention the moving staircases."

Jasper nodded. "I am excited to see them." He looked at the castle that was growing ever larger. The closer they got, the more excitement, and nervousness they could feel radiating in the boat.

Marlene, Harry, and Jasper got off the boat along with all the other first years who were whispering to each other. Hagrid turned to them all. "A'right then," Hagrid said addressing them. "Yer ready fer the sortin you lot? Mus be excited. I remember me own sotin...seems like ages ago..." He went to a door leading them down a long corridor, and up a long staircase.

Jasper looked around, mesmerized. "This is amazing."

Hagird led them to a little room, and turned to face them. "Now yer ta'wait here. Professor McGonagall will be comin' fer yer in a mo'. Nice lady she is. She'll bring yeh ter the Great Hall to be sorted." He smiled, and walked away.

All the first years gave each other nervous looks. Jasper turned to Harry who had a nervous look in his eye. "I know McGonagall, she is the one who told me about Hogwarts."

"Oh, I always wondered how muggleborns got their letter." Harry said. He looked at Jasper. "Are you as nervous as I am, or...?"

Jasper was very nervous, I mean this was all so new to him, and he was unfamiliar with the place, and terminology used in the Wizarding World, but now that he was here he would be able to learn it all, that was exciting. "Very nervous, but also excited."

The door opened, and McGonagall came out. She was once again wearing emerald green robes, and a witches hat. She smiled at them. "My name is Minerva McGonagall." She announced. "And I'm here to bring you all to the sorting ceremony. You will follow me out this doorway to the Great Hall, where the other year students have had a seat at their house tables, and one by one you will be sorted. Once you have been sorted, you will go, and sit at your respective house table, and you will meet the rest of your house members and we will enjoy the start of term feast." She explained to them. "I have heard," She added "That the house elves of Hogwarts have quite outdone themselves with the meal this year, so please give us no troubles, so that we may all sit down and eat as quickly as possible."