He Is All I Have

Mentions of abuse, and homophobia.

Harry followed after Anthony. He seemed to be heading in the direction of the Owlery. He kept his distance for a bit to give Anthony some alone time, and space, but after a few minutes, he went up the steps, and entered the Owlery.

He, and Jasper had discovered a lot, Harry couldn't stop thinking about it. Harry figured it made sense though. Why Christopher wanted Anthony to stay away from Jasper – it was because he had feelings for him, a crush. It wasn't something you saw every day, a boy having feelings for another boy. It was rare. It was frowned upon.

You could get hurt or even killed for it.

It made sense why Christopher was acting the way he did. It wasn't good, he could have been nicer about it, a lot nicer, and had a better approach, but he was trying to protect his brother from the dangers that he would face if people figured it out. That is what Harry gathered from the conversation anyway.

Maybe Anthony didn't understand.

Harry thought it would be best to try to explain it, in a nicer way than what Christopher was doing of course.

Anthony was looking out at the castle grounds, with a tawny owl beside him on a perch. "Hey..." Harry said slowly.

Anthony turned, wiping his eyes as he did so. "Oh...hi."

Harry went over to him, and said, "I - I heard what happened."

"The whole library did." Anthony whispered.

"No..." Harry said. "I mean I know about your - your crush...on Jasper."

Anthony's eyes widened. "Will you hate me too?"

Harry shook his head. "I don't."

"Do you think I'm not normal?"

"I think you are normal." Harry said, trying to forget what he had learned in Sunday School. The topic of queer people had been brought up a few times, and it was never a positive conversation, but his parents had always told him to accept, and love anyone no matter what. Harry was not sure if this is what they meant, but it could have been, and it seemed stupid to hate someone just because of who they had crushes on.

"I mean it isn't common...but it is okay." Harry said.

Anthony scratched the back of his neck, nervously. "You don't think it's weird I have a crush on Jasper?"

Harry shook his head. "No, I mean I get it."

"You do?" Anthony asked.

"Not like that." Harry said quickly. He was not gay, he did not like boys like that. "I mean...I get why you would have a crush on Jasper, he is great! He is really nice, and cares about people a lot, and he has, er...nice hair!"

"Oh, he does!" Anthony exclaimed. "He is really nice looking."

"Yeah." Harry said. "And he has a really great smile."

"He really does." Anthony said. "It lights up the whole room, have you noticed?"

"Well..." Harry said slowly. "I am around him a lot, so yeah, but it is really nice, and I get why you would have a crush on him." Harry smiled. "Not that I would have a crush on him though." Harry added quickly.

"Yeah of course." Anthony murmured. "Thanks for not hating me."

"Of course, I am not going to hate you, it does not even affect me." Harry said. "It doesn't affect anyone, but you, really."