New Family

Mentioned abuse, bullying.

Jasper woke up at 6:00 in the morning. The sun was slowly coming up, and peeking through the curtains. He looked over at all his dorm mates who were all still asleep. He always had a habit of waking up early because if he slept in his parents would be angry. He kept thinking that this was all a dream that he was going to wake up from. His dorm had yellow, and black armchairs, and copper lamps placed around the room. There were four beds, and four desks, the desks were made out of wood. There were plants around the room as well. It was very cosy. With every passing moment he had a thought at the back of his mind that he was going to wake up, and find himself back home with his father screaming about how much of a freak he was.

"YOU FREAK!" His father screamed one of the first times he had ever displayed a sign of magic. He had floated Edgar's crib by accident. As soon as his father screamed, the crib crashed down. Luckily Edgar wasn't in it.

His father approached him, and grabbed him, dragging him across the floor, and he got thrown out of the room. He landed roughly on the ground.

"DEMON, FLOATING THINGS AROUND!" His father yelled inches from Jasper's face. He could smell the alcohol. He grabbed him, pulling him closer. "If I see you doing these things you will be sorry." He hissed in his ear.

"Jasper." Said Harry from his bed, breaking Jasper from his thoughts. "You're up early." Harry stretched. "You alright?"

Jasper nodded quickly trying to forget his father's words. "Yeah." He looked at the others who were still sleeping. He hopped out of bed. "We should check our school schedules." Jasper said, going over to his desk. "It is important to know where we are going."

Harry nodded, and went over to look at the schedule. "Apparently the head of house is Professor Virindi, the herbology teacher." He looked at the classes they had that day. He, and Jasper both gasped at the same time.

"Flying!" Jasper said, at the same time Harry said "History!"

Jasper turned to Harry. "You're excited about something as boring as History, when YOU CAN LEARN TO FLY!?" He yelled.

Harry shrugged. "History is fun! Flying is rubbish."

One of their housemates snorted. A boy named Jonathan Abbott had been woken by Jasper freaking out that there was a class on flying. "I'm sorry. You would rather do History than flying?" He looked at Harry. "Your mother was a chaser when she was in school."

"I know." Harry said.

"Then you should love flying, just wait." Jonathan added. "History is boring."

Harry sighed, and went over to his trunk. He pulled out his rat, Lou, and a History book, and started to read it with Lou on his shoulder.

Jasper checked his watch. It was 7:00. He looked around at everyone. Jonathan was looking at Harry funnily, Harry was looking at his book very intently, and Gifford was still asleep.

This won't do. Jasper thought. "Alright everyone." Jasper started looking at everyone. "Why don't we get to know each other before classes start. We have an hour before breakfast."

Jonathan shrugged, and Harry looked up from his book. "Alright." He looked up at Gifford. "Someone's got to wake him."

"Not it!" Jasper said with a hint of fear in his voice. His mind went to the days he had to wake his parents, and how angry they would get, and it would usually end with him getting hit by his dad. He looked around at the odd looks he was getting from Harry, and Jonathan.