A Very Special Owl

Abuse, ableism.

Alabaster's parents were out again. They had been going out for longer, and more frequently, and even though he knew why – because of The Dark Lord – it was still upsetting as they would leave for hours on end, and he would have no idea when they would get home, but it gave him more time to spend time with his brother, sister, and his owl.

Hiding his owl from his parents had been getting more, and more challenging as the owl grew, and became more vocal, but so far Alabaster had been successful at hiding the fact he had an owl in the house.

His parents had been getting even more strict with him in the new year, and Alabaster had a feeling it was because he would be going to Hogwarts in a few months, and he still wasn't ready. He still could not do the basics, and his parents, already worn patience, had run out.

"You need to do this on your own, not with your sister's help."

"It isn't that hard, just read it!"

"Your handwriting is rubbish, practise more."

"Crucio!"

"Focus! Kids younger than you can do this, why can't you?"

"Stop being stupid."

"Crucio!"

"You're a disgrace."

"Crucio!"

"You're such a disappointment to this family!"

"CRUCIO!"

"Alabaster?" His sister asked, snapping him back to the present. "You're supposed to be doing your work."

Alabaster sighed, and looked at the book in front of him. His parents had given him even more work to do, in an attempt to fix his brain (as they had told him that morning), but all it did was make him more frustrated, making his parents more frustrated. "I'm trying." He told her. "I can't focus."

"Just look at the words, and read." Adelaide said, from where she was trying to entertain Atticus with a quill.

Alabaster looked down at the book, and looked at the words. It made no sense, the words looked blurry, it just made no sense! Why couldn't he read? Why? He really tried, and he paid attention, but NO! He just couldn't get it. He just wanted to make his parents happy, but he couldn't. How was he supposed to even pass Hogwarts if he could not read the textbooks? Everyone was going to know he was stupid, everyone was going to know that he was incapable of reading, why couldn't he just be normal?

"Why do I have to be so stupid?" Alabaster muttered in Tamil as he looked at the words.

Adelaide looked up from where she was playing with Atticus. "You're...you're not stupid."

"You hesitated." Alabaster murmured.

Adelaide sighed. "Just - just look at the book."

"What do you think I'm doing?!" Alabaster asked, frustrated. "What do you think I have been doing my whole life? My brain doesn't comprehend it!"

"It should." Adelaide said. "I don't know what's wrong with you."

That stung, but he was used to it.

"I'm trying." Alabaster said.

"You need to try harder." Adelaide said. "You're going to Hogwarts soon, and you need to be ready."