This Stupid Holiday

Hogwarts was ablaze with students asking others to go out with them, handing out love letters, and giving out chocolates. There was talk of the Valentine's Day Tea that would be taking place later that day. It was a sight of red, white, and pink in the Great Hall, and Harry was not having it.

"Who cares about Valentine's Day?" He asked, annoyed with all the lovey dovey talk from the older students at the Hufflepuff table. "It is a stupid holiday, and it has no point to it."

"Well, it's for couples." Penelope said, and she signalled to a seventh year Hufflepuff girl receiving a box of chocolates from a Ravenclaw seventh year boy. The happy couple then hugged.

"Plus, there is chocolate." Dorothy added at the sight of the chocolates.

"You can get chocolate any day." Harry pointed out.

Maryrose, who had pastel pink hair today, shrugged. "It is for happy couples. I am sure we'll understand when we're older."

Harry shook his head. You could go on a date any day, why have a day dedicated to it? He batted a little cupid that whizzed his way with his hands. See, then there were these little annoying things that were flying throughout the Great Hall, and the ends of the little arrows were surprisingly sharp.

Maryrose stared at the little cupid in front of Harry. "Do you think that was meant for you?"

Harry was looking at the little cupid with distaste. "I bloody hope not."

"I don't really get it either." Marty said, going back to their conversation about why Valentine's Day existed. "Like what is the point?"

"Well, you wouldn't get it, as you don't have a boyfriend." Jonathan told her.

"None of us have boyfriends." Harry said, exasperated.

"It would be weird if we had boyfriends." Jonathan pointed out.

"Well, we don't have a boyfriend, or a girlfriend so we would not get the point of this holiday." Jasper said. "Although I think it is sweet. Seeing all the happy couples..." His eyes were scanning the hall, and he spotted two older Gryffindors snogging each other's faces off. "Well...except that."

"Maybe we'll understand that when we're older too..." Gifford sighed, taking a bite of breakfast sausage.

"Go ask Ella out." Jonathan said to Jasper. "She likes you."

"But I don't like her." Jasper said. He didn't even know her. "Plus I'm tutoring."

"Oh yeah." Jonathan said, and then he turned to Gifford. "Why don't you–"

"I know what you're going to say, and you better be quiet." Gifford told him, in a warning tone of voice.

"How did you know–"

"Because you are predictable."

Jonathan rolled his eyes, and said, "I could have asked what you think carnivals eat, but noooo, you just think I am going to ask about Quinn."

Gifford made a face. "Carnivals?"

"Meat eaters." Jonathan turned to Harry for confirmation. "Right?"

"You mean carnivores?" Harry asked.

Jonathan nodded. "Yes! That!" He looked at Gifford again. "I could have asked about that."

"No, you're way, way too predictable." A voice said from behind them. It was Quinn. They looked at Gifford. "You want to hang out in Ravenclaw tower today? Since it is the weekend?"

Gifford nodded happily. "Yes. I will meet you there after lunch."

Quinn nodded. "Great!" They skipped back to their table, and sat down beside Anthony.