Snow Days

Friday brought along a snowstorm.

It was Defence Against The Dark Arts, and after class Jasper approached Professor Tutman to see if he would be interested in teaching Jasper a shield charm, but he needed to make sure it wasn't in a suspicious manner, just that he was interested to get ahead of other students, and Jasper didn't think that was too unrealistic as he did have to work a lot harder than some of the students to understand all this new wizarding material.

"What do you need Mr. Odair?"

Jasper approached him nervously. He looked back, and saw the others waiting for him at the door, and he waved them along. He turned back to Professor Tutman. "Sir, I was just wondering when we would be learning shield charms?"

"Oh, in your sixth year." Professor Tutman replied.

Jasper stared at him. Sixth year? That was way too far away! He needed to learn them now! He thought Hogwarts would teach something as simple as a shield to first year students, but apparently not. "Well I was wondering if you would be okay with teaching me them...now?"

Tutman stared at him intently. "Why out of all the spells, do you want to learn shield charms? Is someone bullying you?" Before Jasper could continue Tutman muttered something about specific students, and their opinions on blood purity.

"No, no one is bullying me sir." Jasper told him. "It is just..." How should he word this without making Tutman suspicious? "It is just...you did say these are scarier times, and I would like to be prepared."

"Oh, Mr. Odair, you don't need to worry. The Ministry has that under control!"

Well that was good. Jasper thought. He was staring at his hands nervously. Vold-whatever his name would not be a threat to him, or others. That was a relief, but he still needed to learn a basic shield charm for his brothers sake.

"Look, Mr. Odair, if you are so worried, I will have no problem with teaching you a basic shield charm." Jasper looked up from his hands, feeling hopeful. ''But we will start after the winter holidays as they start Sunday."

Was it really winter holidays? Jasper thought. Has it really been that long? He was going to see his brothers for the first time in months...and his parents. He was nervous, he was scared, but he needed to see how his brothers were doing. He really did miss them.

"If you really want to start looking into them..." Tutman continued. "In one of the higher year's textbooks there is a charm called protego, I would suggest you look into that."

Jasper nodded. "Thank you sir! I will. Have a good holiday."

"You too, Mr. Odair."

Jasper walked out of the classroom, and into the Defence corridor. He would study that spell, and see if he was able to perform it before holidays, he only had two days, but this was important.

He decided to skip lunch, and go to his dorm. When he got to his dorm he got out a Defence book he had borrowed, and started to read up, and practise the spell protego. As Tutman said it was a tough charm to get, and all Jasper could get so far was this tiny little flash. It wasn't much, but it was a start.

A bit later, Harry opened the door, and ran in, pure happiness on his face, his eyes seemed to be glowing. "This is the greatest day of my life." He hopped onto his bed.

Jonathan, and Gifford trailed behind him. "Everyone else says otherwise." Jonathan murmured, and they both sat down on their beds.

Jasper looked at them all confused. "What's up?"

"Flying was cancelled because of the weather!" Harry piped up. "I love winter."

"Flying was cancelled because of the weather?" Jasper asked, confused. He had seen people fly in the harsh rain, why was snow an issue?