Signing over

At the Avengers Compound. Steve is watching a news report on the Lagos attack, "Wakandans were among those killed during a confrontation between the Avengers and a group of mercenaries in Lagos, Nigeria, last month. The traditionally reclusive Wakandans were on an outreach mission in Lagos when the attack occurred."

"Our people's blood is spilled on foreign soil" King T'Chaka says, "Not only because of the actions of criminals, but by the indifference of those pledged to stop them. Victory at the expense of the innocent, is no victory at all."

"The Wakanda king went on to" Steve turns his computer off, but sound drifts toward him from another room, "They are operating outside and above the international law. Because that's the reality, if we don't respond to acts like these" Wanda is sitting on her bed, watching the news on her TV, "What legal authority does an enhanced individual like Wanda Maximoff have to operate in Nigeri."

The TV turns off. Steve sets the remote down and leans on the door frame, "It's my fault" Wanda states.

"That's not true" Steve tells her.

"Turn the TV back on" Wanda demands, "They're being very specific."

"I should've clocked that bomb vest long before you had to deal with it" Steve tells her, "Rumlow said Bucky and all of a sudden I was a 16-year-old kid again, in Brooklyn. And people died. It's on me."

"It's on both of us" Wanda corrects.

"This job we try to save as many people as we can" Steve sighs, "Sometimes that doesn't mean everybody. But if we can't find a way to live with that, next time maybe nobody gets saved."

Vision materializes through the wall. "Vis! We talked about this" Wanda says.

"Yes, but the door was open" vision defends, "so I assumed that" He gestures at the door and stops, "Captain Rogers wished to know when Mr. Stark was arriving."

"Thank you" Steve says, "We'll be right down."

"I'll use the door" vision tells them, "Oh, and apparently, he's brought a guest. Along with his daughter."

"Olivia's here?" Steve questions with a sigh, "We know who the other guest is?"

"The Secretary of State" vision answers.

The Secretary of State, Thaddeus Ross, is standing at the head of a table. Rhodey, Natasha, Steve, Tony, Olivia, Sam, Vision, and Wanda are gathered around, "Five years ago, I had a heart attack. I dropped right in the middle of my back-swing. Turned out it was the best round of my life, because after 13 hours of surgery and a triple bypass I found something 40 years in the Army had never taught me: Perspective. The world owes the Avengers an un-payable debt. You have fought for us, protected us, risked your lives but while a great many people see you as heroes, there are some who would prefer the word vigilantes."

"And what word would you use, Mr. Secretary?" Natasha questions.

"How about dangerous?" Ross answers, "What would you call a group of US-based, enhanced individuals who routinely ignore sovereign borders and inflict their will wherever they choose and who, frankly, seem unconcerned about what they leave behind?"

Ross activates a screen behind him. News footage from past Avengers and shield matters flash on the screen as he speaks.

"New York" A Chitauri leviathan. Terrified citizens. A soldier firing a gun. The Hulk smashes into a building and sends a dust cloud to engulf the camera. Rhodey looks regretful. He glances behind him at Natasha.

"Washington DC" The three Insight helicarriers, firing on each other. The destroyed Triskelion. A helicarrier crashing into the Potomac and throwing up a massive wave, engulfing citizens and the camera. Sam looks down.