43: They saw him as this cold hearted person who couldn't even love his child

Edited by Relendria

Meng Yao sat in the corner with the Huan and gave him the menu.

"Laoren, why are you not looking at the menu?" Huan asked, unable to restrain his curiousity.

"I already know what I'm going to buy," he answered casually.

"Laoren, if you don't have money, you don't need to pretend."

"Hm, good point - unlike someone who promise to indulge me but can't because he is broke...," Meng Yao teased the boy. He didn't know why he felt so indulgent towards this child but something about him brought it out in him.

"I-I lost it! I will buy you plenty meals later. I will even buy this restaurant!" Huan declared arrogantly.

"Alright, alright, have you decided on what you want yet?"

"No," he answered.

"Fine, then I'll order for you."

He raised his hand and a server came over and bowed politely.

"What would you like, Boss?" the man asked with just a hint of an ingratiating tone.

Huan was surprised but he soon grew flustered. How Meng Yao wished he had a fan right now!

"Ah, chicken and fries for the young one with berry juice. For me, grape wine with udon noodles - make it spicy - also bring ketchup, cheese and mayonnaise," Meng Yao ordered smoothly.

The worker nodded and immediately left for the kitchen.

"Laoren, you didn't tell me you own the place!"

"I didn't dare when a certain young master promised to buy me a restaurant," Meng Yao teased.

Huan blushed again.

They were both enjoying their meal when Huan's frantic servants arrived to escort Huan home. Meng Yao had sent a message to the Feng residence as soon as they arrived at the restaurant but the servants who had misplaced their young master couldn't relax until they knew the message was genuine. Huan didn't know why they were so upset with him but he tolerated their scolding the entire way home.

"Feng Huan, where were you? It's not like you to wonder off," Jun Gui asked with concern as soon as Huan entered the house.

"I met a handsome brother today. He brought me to Meng Ji! It turned out that he was the owner. I had fun with him," Huan explained calmly.

"Ah-Huan, you shouldn't talk to strangers! They could be dangerous!"

"Oh, well brother Liang Meng Yao wasn't dangerous." Huan shrugged off the concern.

Jun Gui was taken aback.

"Liang Meng Yao?"

"Yes, that's his name."

Jun Gui was surprised. He had been looking for Liang Meng Yao but he heard that he moved out of the village. Now he owned a restaurant in the Capital? That man sure knew how to surprise people...

"I see. Tomorrow we shall go meet this brother," Jun Gui said thoughtfully.

"Okay, but right now I'll go tell daddy I'm back and give him this or he might go hungry again," Ah-Huan told his cousin.

Jun Gui nodded and Huan left to go to his daddy. As usual, he was next to the window but this time he was asleep. Huan carefully put a blanket over him to keep him warm and smiled as he kissed his daddy's cheek. He never got to be affectionate with his daddy but he couldn't help but love the man anyway. Even though Huan had no memory of his daddy ever being kind to him, he stilled cared for his daddy. He always watched over him with concern because his daddy was a bit strange. His daddy didn't like eating very much so he would always forget to eat and he slept during the day and gazed at the sky at night. Since it was already late in the afternoon, the stars would be out in the next hour or so. Then his daddy will certainly awaken to watch the stars once more.

The general Feng Chong Lin was having a discussion with the doctor who was reporting on Zhong Xiao Si's health.

"His body is very weak. If he doesn't start taking care of himself soon, he might not live past the next three years," the doctor informed the general.

"Damn it! Does that she-man not care for himself at all?!? Damn you, Liang Huan!" the general cursed angrily.

The doctor wasn't surprised at the general's anger. It was well known back then that the general was in love with the prince but the prince was in love with the minister, Liang Huan. After the rumored elopement of the two the prince came back, grief stricken, and married the general who was delighted. But the marriage wasn't happy because the prince hated the general and tried his best to avoid him.

When he got pregnant with the first young master, Feng Huan, Zhong Xiao Si hated that child and hated the general for giving the child the same name as his lost love. Xiao Si only felt bitter hatred towards the general - so much so that seeing the generally only made him feel disgusted. The doctor wasn't the only one to wonder; if Zhong Xiao Si hated the general so much, why did he marry the man?

No one could understand - then again, no one understood the prince at all. They all just saw him as a cold, heartless person who couldn't even love his own child.