one

April 2005, (3 weeks after school started)

They always say you have to expect the unexpected.

Most likely to say that something thrilling will happen to you in the meantime.

But for the love of god, this was not exciting at all.

This was nerve-racking.

It could be possible for your heart to explode anytime sooner.

The teacher you thought was 'empathetic' (it's just because you never saw her go berserk), sure was evolving into a different teacher this year.

She taught you English last year too, and she let everyone choose their own partners for the writing portfolio, which is crucial since it will be added to the continuous assessment marks later on.

So it's basic thinking, right?

It's the same teacher, so same ways of teaching and whatsoever. Teachers don't change that drastically...in a year to be frank.

But Nakamura-sensei did the impossible.

She did change this year.

You could never even imagine that this type of situation can even happen.

At this very moment, everyone was letting out noises of fear and looking at each other while Nakamura-sensei was happily calling out the names from her purple clipboard.

Poor her, she thought what she did was innocuous but if only she knew how many of the students in the class were cursing at her.

Maybe, just maybe it would be better if she just assigned your partners and end of story, but it gets even worse when she said the partners will be one girl and one boy. Her reason was because she wants perspective of the essays from different genders.

You sure do support gender equality, very much actually but there's no need to fight it for a fucking writing portfolio partner.

"Akio-kun and Akari-chan!" Nakamura-sensei shouted out excitedly.

Of course she's excited, she's the one who's torturing everybody else.

The hubbub gets even louder than before. There ain't no way those two 'coincidentally' got partnered up together.

"That's not fair! How can a couple get partnered up together!" one of your classmates voiced out their dissatisfaction.

"It could be that Akio-kun paid Nakamura-sensei to make him and his girlfriend to be partners."

"I'm pretty sure that Nakamura-sensei is anything but a gold digger."

The voices of the two girls behind you whispering (pretty sure they're just talking casually anyways).