twenty four

The evening of the same day

"Dad, I'm home." You twisted the doorknob of your house, knowing that your father had finally arrived home since his car was parked and his shoes were present in front of the door.

As you entered your house, you heard the blaring of a vacuum cleaner from the living room. You closed the door behind you and saw how your father didn't even notice that you had entered the house, the vacuum cleaner was definitely too loud... like it was screaming constantly.

He was kneeling on the floor and trying his best to make sure that the mouth of the vacuum cleaner would reach the dirt under the television table.

That's how he's always been when it came to vacuuming. He'd make sure that every corner and every part of the house was clean, even if it was unnoticeable.

He sure was particular with cleanliness (considering that he grew up as a rich kid, the maids cleaned his house to the point that not even a single dirt appeared).

In a way, you should say that you were grateful that he was particular about it and trained you to take care of your hygiene and all of that, but it sure was terrifying whenever you helped him clean because even a single spot of dirt could anger him.

"Dad." You called out for him.

No response. Your voice was probably too low for him to hear.

"Dad!"

Again, no response.

For the love of God.

"DAD!" You shouted.

In an instant, your father flinched as he assumed that he was alone in the house but his assumption was wrong. He turned his attention to the source of the shouting and his previous startled expression switched to a happy one when he saw you.

"Welcome home!" He said with a close-eyed smile, you didn't even hear him say that sentence but you still managed to process what it was. The vacuum cleaner sure was thunderous.

Then, he spoke long sentences and you wondered... what in the world he was saying but his pointer finger kept on showing the dining room so you presumed that he had bought dinner and asked you to dig in first.

It's not that your father didn't know how to cook but you guessed he had no time to think about what meal he should cook because, in that aspect, your mother was the one that specialized in it.

It felt weird to need to get accustomed to the fact that your mother was not here in the house and still getting treatment at the hospital. And you had no choice but to sleep at home alone because you had school while your father had to accompany your mother at the hospital, go to work and come back to the house to bring you food.

Your father was tired (you could see how forced his smile was before) but he was trying his best to not show it.

You moved your steps to the dining table and saw the food that was wrapped in a plastic bag. And you saw it very clearly, the name of the restaurant your father bought the food from.