Realizations

"Mackenzie, we've been waiting on you! You can't just wander off whenever you want to!" The director pointed his finger at her. "But you're back now, that's all that matters." He said, softening his tone as he looked at Kenzie's wide eyes. I knew she was trying to make him feel sorry for her, so he wouldn't yell. She did that with Demi all the time.

"Sorry." She sassed, when she obviously wasn't sorry at all. Well at least I was seeing more and more of Kenzie every day. She was a brat but I loved her.

"Mackenzie." Alexia hissed. "Manners." Alexia was always corrected Kenzie, sort of like she was her mother. That bothered me. I didn't like something about Alexia... I couldn't put my finger on it yet but something was up. I like to think of myself as a good judge of character.

"Sorry, sir." She smirked.

"You missed the whole scene." Hadlee scoffed. "You're so unprofessional." She rolled her eyes. Unfortunately, as mean as Hadlee could be, she reminded me of how Kenzie had acted towards Kenna.

"Just shut up." Avie shot back, stating what everyone else was thinking.

"You missed the whole scene too. Maybe you should go back to your freak show." Hadlee stuck her tongue out.

"Don't you dare talk to her that way." I stood up, clasping my hand over my mouth as I realized I had actually said that out loud.

"And who's this?" Hadlee mocked, glaring at me. Like I was afraid or even intimidated by a 10 year old.

"That's Cece. She's my very close friend." Avie smiled in my direction. Internally I died, I completely died. "Don't be so bitter that you didn't get the lead." Avie turned to Kenzie. "She auditioned for your role. She just didn't get it."

"At least I already have 7 awards. What do you have? What does she have?" Hadlee mocked, making faces at Kenzie. I made eye contact with Avie long enough to read her mind. Such a great group of people. The cast gets along so well together!

"That's enough! Rehearsal is over!" The director stood up. "Be here for 6am tomorrow. If I hear another fight you'll be asked to leave. To help you bond I've arranged for a group outing tonight. You are all required to attend. It's a team building event- you'll see."

While the cast, mixed in with parents and coaches made a dash for the exit, I hung back to wait for Avie. I wanted to talk to her, she captivated me.

"Will you be there tonight? At this "team building event", whatever it is?" Avie found me.

"Oh of course!" I stuttered. I didn't know what Demi had planned but I had to be there.

"Okay good." Avie smiled, before wrapping her arms around me. I looked around to see if anyone was watching. Avie didn't seem to care if anyone saw us.

"Come on! Cece! I'm waiting!" Kenzie whined. She didn't seem to notice how long Avie was hugging me for.

"Bye Avie."

"Bye Cece." Avie brushed my bangs away from my face.

"Short for Cecelia.. I've got to go now bye!" I turned away, silently kicking myself for being such a freak.

"Bye beautiful." My heart stopped. Did she just? Did that just happen?

"Cece that was so cool! I love being on set! I want to do this forever!" She leapt, making dramatic hand motions.

But I wasn't really paying attention. I was thinking about Avie. Maybe I liked her, okay, I liked her a lot. But I decided I was going to take things slowly. Whatever happens happens. I had always imagined myself marrying a guy. Not that there's anything wrong with being gay, but when you imagine something for a long time, it's hard to accept that that might not happen.