Up and Down

I sat with my ear pressed against the door of Demi's room. She was calling our mom and dad to ask for their advice. I needed to know what they were saying.

Demi didn't seem to understand that Kenzie was the root of Kenna's issues. Demi blamed herself too much. I don't think she truly believed that her innocent Kenzie could be so mean, even if she said she did. She saw it more as regular sibling rivalry, but it was much more extreme. She hadn't seen it with her own eyes.

In my opinion that was her being selfish. She was caught up in making things her fault. She wasn't focused on punishing Kenzie and teaching her a lesson. She was more focused on why Kenzie was being mean. It was more like she felt sorry for Kenzie for acting the way she was. She was only considering not allowing her to take the part because of how much it would change all of our lives. No part of that was a punishment for Kenzie. In my opinion Kenzie deserved a punishment. In fact, she deserved to be disowned.

"Mom I know Kenzie wasn't right for saying that. Obviously! But what am I supposed to do? I can't throw away her future for making one bad decision. I'm not going to lock her in her room or chain her to a wall for this!"

I really wished I could hear my mom's response. I think you'll all agree with me in that I'd love to have Kenzie chained to a damn wall.

"You have to think of Kenzie too. Wilmer really hurt her. Kids aren't just mean for fun. She's hurting too. She has to be."

Demi almost sounded like she was convincing herself.

"Okay bye mom. Love you too."

I fled away from the door as Demi hung up in an attempt to hide the fact that I was listening to her conversation.

"Cece I know you were standing right by the door. You can come in now."

"Right." I opened the door to an unamused Demi. She rolled her eyes at me.

"So I'm going to allow Kenzie to take this opportunity. I know you probably think I'm crazy but listen, everybody makes mistakes and what Kenzie did shouldn't ruin her chance at an acting career. My hope is that by moving Kenna to LA we can find some kind of work for her to get into."

I stared at Demi. I didn't say anything because I knew if I opened my mouth I would probably never be allowed in Demi's house again.

"You're acting like you want me to punish Kenzie! Kenzie's going through just as much as Kenna is. They went through a lot with their father and I just need to get them some help."

"Demi I didn't say anything. Maybe that's your conscience?"

"Cecelia stop it. I'm happy with my decision and everything is going to be fine."

"We'll see how that works out for you."

"What do you mean by that?"

"I mean what I said."

"Fine! I'm going to tell Kenzie now!" Demi pranced into the other room.

Demi was completely in denial. An hour ago Kenna was completely broken. Demi came out of her room in tears, looking like she was about to relapse. And suddenly everything was fine. I wanted to shake Demi.

Suddenly I had an idea. An idea that would ruin everything for Kenzie.

"Kenna come here!" I yelled up the stairs. "Demi has something to tell you!"

"Cece! Kenna doesn't need to be here for this!" Demi hissed at me.

"Oh I thought it would be a nice family moment." I snickered.

We went into the living room where Kenzie was seated watching the little mermaid.

Kenna stood by my side.

"You can sit down baby girl." Demi bent down to her level.

Kenna sat on the floor next to me. It was clear she didn't want to go near Kenzie.

"Mommy! You guys are interrupting my movie!"

"Baby girl I just wanted to tell you something really exciting! You got the part! You're going to be in the new disney series!"

"Yay!!!" She jumped up and hugged Demi. "I knew I'd get it! Everyone loves me!"

"Sweetie you know you worked hard for that part." Demi frowned.

"The best part is that I got it and Kenna didn't!" She walked over to her cowering twin. "Told you you're too ugly and fat for tv! Told you I have the talent! Even Demi hates you!"

"Woah woah woah. Kenzie..." Demi was frozen, her face pale and her lips stuck together. "You can't just say things like that! I've spent your entire life telling you that bullying is wrong! Go to your room right now. I'm not letting you have that role."

"But mommy! You do hate Kenna so it's okay!"

"WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU THINK I HATE KENNA?" Demi finally yelled, she was furious. Kenna covered her eyes and Kenzie stepped back.

"Because you let me be mean to her! I was hiding it all along 'cause I thought you'd be mad. But now that you know and didn't do anything, it's okay!"

"Kenzie! It's nowhere near okay! Go to your room now. Don't come out until I tell you."

"Are you punishing me?" Kenzie shrieked, emphasizing the me.

Demi closed her eyes and took a big breath.

"Yes."

"YOU CANT DO THAT! IM YOUR FAVORITE!"

"Kenzie NOW!"

"NO!" She lay down on her stomach and started screaming. "NA NA NA NA NA IM NOT MOVING."

Demi lifted her over her shoulder and carried her up the stairs and into her room.

Kenna and I stared at each other on satisfaction.

Eventually Demi came back down.

"How'd you get her to stay?" I asked.

"I told her she'd never get another audition if she didn't. But I also told her I loved her and that I was sorry she felt the need to bully her twin." Demi looked at Kenna. "I'm so sorry baby girl." She hugged Kenna tightly.

"It's okay mommy."

"So we aren't moving to LA?" I butted in. I had to know.

"I haven't decided for sure yet. But the producers are allowing us another week to decide. So let's just see how things go. I promise I won't do anything that's going to cause you girls to be upset okay?"

I knew then that it was very likely that Demi was going to allow Kenzie to have this role. I couldn't blame her in a way though... Kenzie was her daughter. Demi knew what it was like to want to be a performer herself. And she thought she'd be helping Kenna by moving. I still hated Kenzie though. I wanted her to suffer like Kenna did. But my question was, if they move, what will happen to me? I can't go home now.