Let Go

I cracked the door of the hospital's playroom open and peered inside. The colorful walls were filled with posters of positivity. It was sickening. Mackenzie was drawing at a table while the person running the playroom was reading to a younger girl.

I was looking to steal a pair of scissors. Need I say more?

"Cece!" Kenzie called to me. "Nobody's telling me what's going on!" She crossed her arms. "Tell me the truth."

The lady running the playroom walked over to Kenzie. "Sweetie remember how we talked about how the doctors are trying very hard to make your sister better?" She put her hand on Kenzie's shoulder.

"I WANT MY MOMMY!" She yelled. "IM HUNGRY!"

"Demi's busy-" I tried to tell her, calmly.

"I WANT SOMEBODY! THEY ALL FORGOT ME!" She shrieked.

"Maybe I can take her to get some food?"

I don't know why that came out of my mouth. But I needed an excuse to be away from Kenna and Demi. I couldn't stand seeing either of them in their current states.

"That'd be a good idea. The cafeteria is on the first floor."

"Oh and before I forget, we were looking for a pair of scissors to open a package." I lied.

"Scissors are right over there." She pointed.

I grabbed the sharpest scissors I could find, and rushed away.

"C'mon Kenzie." She leapt out of her chair clutching a picture of a money she had colored.

"I want mommy." She hissed at me.

"Mommy's busy." I grabbed her hand.

"She's busy with Kenna! I told you she loves her more!" She broke free of my grip and ran down the hall, through the swinging doors of the PICU, peeking in each window.

"KENZIE STOP!" I yelled.

Hospital policy didn't allow people under 12 into the PICU. I ran after her, but I wasn't able to catch her before she rushed into Kenna's room and flung her arms around Demi.

"Kenzie! You aren't allowed in here! Eddie, can you please bring her back to the playroom?" Demi yelled frantically.

"Mommy! Aren't you happy to see me?"

"Sweetie I'm busy with Kenna."

"Where IS Kenna?" Kenzie looked around.

"She's right here baby girl." Demi whispered solemnly, pointing to the bed.

I can see why Kenzie didn't recognize her twin. Her body was covered in tubes and wires, the latest one protruding from her neck. Her hair was shaved off in random clumps.

"That's not her!" Kenzie yelled, as she stepped towards Kenna's bed. "YOURE LYING!"

"It's time for us to go." Eddie grabbed Kenzie and threw her over his shoulder.

"YOU'RE ALL LIARS!" Kenzie continued to scream, all the way down the hall.

I wished we were liars, and that that wasn't Kenna. But it was, and deep down I think Kenzie knew that. I don't think Kenzie knew what she was feeling. Anger is always a cover up,.

Demi dissolved into sobs once again, and I took that as my signal to go. Safely hidden in a hospital restroom I pulled the scissors from my waist band.

----------------------------------------------

A week passed but very little changed. The doctors came in twice a day to do extensive checkups on Kenna. They tried new medicine after new medicine, hoping to heal her brainstem. They tested her blood, and injected who knows what, into her body. Nurses bathed her and tried to exercise her muscles. It was all a painful reminder of what she couldn't do for herself. Contrary to what they thought, her heart did not stop again. Now it was a matter of seeing how much damage had been done to her brain.