Battle Wounds

"Goodmorning Cece!" Demi chirped, swinging the door open.

Who could be so perky in the morning? It must be around 5AM!

"Awww! Oh my god Cece! See? You have a heart! I told you! Oh my god. You guys look so adorable. Don't move! I need a picture!"

I pretended to go back to sleep as Demi took a picture. McKenna was snuggled against me, with her arm around me.

"I really hate to disrupt you two, but you have to get to school today, Cece."

School? After the first month of school I was able to obtain a doctor's note saying... don't hate me... that I was in a coma. The school has called me, well they think they called my parents, twice, wondering about my condition.

I don't have any friends there, besides Tyler, if that counts, and he's gone anyway, so it's not like anyone is worried.

Usually I leave in the mornings and "walk to school". In reality I usually go smoke, drink, buy drugs, etc, and then come home and lock myself in my room, doing "homework".

Although I would love to be able to go do that, I don't know that that's going to work with Demi. And plus she took my drinks and cigarettes.

"But school's an hour away! Shouldn't I be homeschooled?"

"We'll talk. But go for today at least."

"Fine."

"Meet me in the dining room for breakfast when you get dressed." She smiled.

I growled.

McKenna stirred in her sleep. "I'm gonna get up now but as soon as I get home we can play. I promise." I whispered in her ear, and kissed her on the cheek.

I went into the bathroom and the events of the past few days began to creep into my thoughts. I searched all of the drawers in the bathroom for pills, or razors, or anything useful! My head was throbbing and I felt nauseous. I need pills. I need a drink or a cigarette. I need to cut. I don't care how awful I felt the last time I drank.

Finally I found a safety pin. I dragged it around my fingertips, reveling in the happiness. Before long I was slashing it at my wrists. After awhile I felt better. I jumped into the shower and watched my blood run down my hand, and into the drain.

I dried off and went into my room to get dressed, wearing only a towel.

To my surprise, McKenna was sitting up in my bed, awake.

I flung my arms onto my chest, in an attempt to hide my scars from her.

"Goodmorning Kenna."

Act natural. Act natural.

"Cece... you have battle wounds too..."

She stood up and walked over to me.

"What? No. No I don't."

Her hands went to my arm. She pulled it down carefully and flipped it over, making my wrist visible. She rubbed her fragile hands over my cuts and then kissed them.

"Mommy has them too. Under her tattoos. She says they're her battle wounds."

She frowned.

"But yours are a lot worse than hers. You must be in a big battle."

"McKenna... I'm okay. Don't worry."

"You were crying last night. Is this why? You aren't losing the battle are you?"

"Kenna I told you, don't worry about it."

"But Cece you're my best friend. I don't want you hurt."

"I'm not hurt. I'm fine."

"You were crying. And you have really bad battle wounds. I don't want you to lose the battle. Then we won't be best friends"

"Kenna..." Looking at the innocent baby girl beside me, so full of concern, my eyes filled with tears. I didn't want to lie to her. But I couldn't tell her the truth. And she isn't going to understand. I sat down on the bed and Kenna sat next to me.

She held my hand and rubbed her hand over my scars, again and again.

"I don't want you to hurt."

Tear drops dripped down my cheeks.

Her hand gently wiped them away and she began rubbing my back.

I was at a loss for words.

"Can you please go get your mommy?"

"Sure." She jumped down from the bed and ran down the stairs.

----------------------------------------------

I need to thank Silent_Warrior for the amazing idea she gave me.