Win

I had to know exactly what Demi and McKenna discussed. It was clear that Demi wasn't in the right state of mind to take care of McKenna and I knew that I had to be there for her right then. Even if that means hurting Demi. I took a deep breath and crossed my fingers, entering Demi's room. Demi was sitting on the couch, her eyes closed and her hands under her. She had once told me that that was her way of not harming herself when she was feeling extremely triggered. I sat down on the ottoman in front of her.

"Demi." She looked up. "I want to know exactly what Kenna told you. I need to make sure she didn't leave something out."

"I can't repeat it."

"You have to repeat it. Your daughter's life is in danger. You need to get yourself together and focus on McKenna now." I spat.

Demi stared at me, pressed her lips together, and spoke. "You're right."

"Just tell me everything. Let it all out okay? I'm here ..." I felt guilty for making Demi hurt but I needed to. For Kenna. "I'm sorry I suck at sympathy."

"Cece." She smiled. "You don't. You don't suck at sympathy."

"Thank you. So?"

"Right." Demi swallowed. "At first Kenna wouldn't talk to me. She said she couldn't tell me. She said they wouldn't let her. I asked what she meant but she just repeated it over and over again. It really... freaked me out. She couldn't mean-"?

"Inner demons. Yeah. She..She could."

Demi's face wrinkled as tear drops fell. She was young but she looked so old. "I don't know how I let this happen Cece."

"It's... Ummm... it's going to be okay." I tried to comfort her.

"She said she had to protect Kenzie. And that it was better for her to hurt than Kenzie. After you talked to her she told me that she didn't want to fight a battle like you and I do, she told me she wanted to give up and go away forever." Demi was crying now, but she didn't let that stop her from continuing. "I don't know what my reaction was but I just tried to hug her and love her. I asked why. She said that she was stupid, and ugly and fat. I asked if she was happy. She said she didn't know." Demi looked up. "My 5 year old can't even figure out her emotions."

It was hard to watch Demi sobbing, and gasping to take breaths while she told me about her baby girl.

"It shocked me so much. I did everything I could to prevent this. I think I told her that she was beautiful. But I was shocked so I asked why. She told me bullies. I figured she meant at school....She told me all about Kenzie. Today Kenzie t-t-told her...." Demi closed her eyes. "To kill herself so that everyone else would be happy."

Everything stopped then. I couldn't even cry. I felt faint. How could a 5 year old tell her twin sister to kill herself?

"Then Kenna started crying. She said she would be in trouble with Kenzie. She kept apologizing for telling me. T-t-then she told me how Wilmer visited her."

Demi began hyperventilating and I recognized it was a panic attack.

"Demi! Demi please! I-I can't do this without you! This is all my fault and I can't fix it! Please calm down and help me." I cried. "I can't do this alone. I need you! And now you're gonna leave me!"

I tried to hug her but she jumped back.

"Demi please." I wiped my tears away and got up to leave. "I give up."

Luckily Demi stood up and pulled me back.

"I'm sorry. I still get panic attacks. I'm sorry you have to see me like this. But I'm going to fix it. I'll get Kenna a therapist. I'll talk to Kenzie. We'll have family therapies. I'll talk about Wilmer. Hell, I'll talk to Wilmer. I'll do everything I can and it's going to be okay. Come here."